Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) around x=+∞. The suggested method of setting z=1/x and expanding f(z)=arctan(1/z) near 0 is incorrect. The correct result is obtained by using the series for arctan t and setting t=z^{-1}. Alternatively, one can use the fact that 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+... and 1/(1+x^2)=1-x^2+x^4+... to find the expansion coefficients.
laurabon
I have to write taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) around at x=+∞.
My first idea was to set z=1/x
and in this case z→0
Thus I can expand f(z)= arctan(1/z) near 0
so I obtain 1/z-1/3(z^3)
Then I try to reverse the substitution but this is incorrect .I discovered after that arctanx=π/2−arctan(1/x) for all x>0 and than I can write the correct result walphram alpha gives to me
Now I would like to know if there is an alternative way to get the result without knowing arctanx=π/2−arctan(1/x) for all x>0

Physics news on Phys.org
laurabon said:
I have to write taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) around at x=+∞.
My first idea was to set z=1/x
and in this case z→0
Thus I can expand f(z)= arctan(1/z) near 0
so I obtain 1/z-1/3(z^3)

How did you obtain this result? Taking the series for [itex]\arctan t[/itex] about [itex]t = 0[/itex] and setting [itex]t = z^{-1}[/itex] won't give the right answer.

This idea will work, if you calculate the series correctly.

For the constant term, [tex]f(0^{+}) = \arctan(\infty) = \frac{\pi}2.[/tex] Then [tex]f'(z) =
\frac{d}{dz}\arctan(z^{-1}) = -\frac{1}{z^2} \frac{1}{1 + z^{-2}} = - \frac{1}{1 + z^2}[/tex] and then [tex]
f^{(n)}(z) = \frac{d^n}{dz^n} \arctan(z^{-1}) = -\frac{d^{n-1}}{dz^{n-1}} \frac{1}{1 + z^2},\qquad n \geq 2.[/tex] Alternatively, you could note that if [itex]x = \tan \theta[/itex] then [itex]x^{-1} = \cot \theta[/itex] so that [itex]f(z) = \operatorname{arccot}(z)[/itex].

Hi , thanks for your replies . Can I use the fact that 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+...
and so 1/(1+x^2)=1-x^2+x^4+...
and obtain f'(0)=-1 f^3(0)=-2! and so on ?

1. What is the Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity?

The Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity is an infinite series that represents the function arctan(x) at values of x approaching infinity. It is given by the formula: arctan(x) = π/2 - (1/x) + (1/3x^3) - (1/5x^5) + ...

2. Why is the Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity useful?

The Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity is useful because it allows us to approximate the value of arctan(x) at large values of x without having to use a calculator or a table. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function at infinity.

3. How do you derive the Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity?

The Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity can be derived using the Maclaurin series, which is a special case of the Taylor series. By taking the derivatives of the function at x=0 and plugging them into the formula, we can obtain the infinite series.

4. What is the convergence of the Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity?

The Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity converges for all values of x, as long as x is not equal to infinity itself. This means that the series is a valid representation of the function at all values of x, including infinity.

5. Can the Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity be used to calculate the value of arctan(x) at any value of x?

Yes, the Taylor expansion of f(x)=arctan(x) at infinity can be used to calculate the value of arctan(x) at any value of x, including infinity. However, as with any infinite series, the accuracy of the approximation will depend on the number of terms used in the calculation.