IDL (interactive data language) material wanted

In summary, the speaker is looking for free resources on IDL and wants suggestions for beginner-friendly material. They mention a possible link to previous discussions on IDL and express excitement about learning programming.
mmont012
Does anyone know where I can find some material (for free) on IDL? I'm new to programming, and I would like to teach myself this language. I would like suggestions to material that is "novice" friendly.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmont012 said:
Does anyone know where I can find some material (for free) on IDL? I'm new to programming, and I would like to teach myself this language. I would like suggestions to material that is "novice" friendly.
You might get a lead from our past IDL threads. See recent discussion and some links right at the foot of the page of this discussion: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/idl-tutorial-recommendations.383423/

You're new to programming? So, you don't know what fun awaits! :smile:

Likes mmont012

1. What is IDL?

IDL stands for interactive data language and it is a programming language used for data analysis, visualization, and manipulation. It is commonly used in scientific research and data analysis.

2. What types of materials are typically wanted for IDL?

Materials wanted for IDL include data sets, code libraries, and tutorials or guides for using IDL for data analysis and visualization. Other materials such as plugins or add-ons for specific tasks may also be wanted.

3. Why is IDL material wanted?

IDL material is wanted because it provides valuable resources for scientists and researchers who use IDL for their work. By sharing materials, the community can benefit from new techniques, data sets, and tools for data analysis and visualization.

4. Where can I find IDL material?

IDL material can be found in a variety of places, including online repositories such as GitHub and Zenodo, as well as on personal websites and blogs of scientists and researchers. There are also online forums and communities dedicated to sharing IDL materials.

5. Can I contribute my own IDL material?

Yes, you can contribute your own IDL material to the community. This can help other scientists and researchers by providing them with new resources for their work. You can share your materials through online repositories, forums, or by creating your own website or blog.