If 0 = 1, does this mean that 0 = 1?

• Thread starter James_fl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of injective functions and the factorial function. The factorial function is defined as the number of ways to arrange n objects, and this interpretation leads to the definition of 0! as equal to 1. However, this does not mean that every value of y in the factorial function has a corresponding value of x. This is because the factorial function is not injective, meaning that there can be multiple inputs that result in the same output.
James_fl
Well obviously, no is the answer. But why?

After all: If 5! = x! then x = 5.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
let me define a function f(x) = 5
since f(5) = f(8), does that mean 5=8?

No, because the 5 in f(x) = 5 is a constant.

Does this have something to do with the fact that the value 0!=1 and 1!=1 are defined; and hence they are constants?

If so, how should I put it down to words?

The reason we define 0! to be equal to 1 is due to the combinatorial interpretation of the factorial function. This interpretation says the number of ways to arrange n objects is n! So there is exactly 1 way to arrange 0 objects, and there is also exactly 1 way to arrange 1 object (and 2 ways for 2 objects, etc.)

0!=1 by definition, yes.

James_fl said:
No, because the 5 in f(x) = 5 is a constant.

Ok, if you don't accept that argument, then what about sin? If sin(x)=sin(y) does that mean x=y? Of course not (0, pi, 2pi, 3pi, etc..). Functions were we can say f(x)=f(y) implies x=y are called injective (or one-to-one) and it has nothing to do with 'constants' at all. It so happens that the factorial function is not injective.

James, there is no "inverse" factorial function that would return a when applied to a! as far as I know.

Take your equation:

0!=1!

What would you do to both sides to get 0=1?

(Now you might say that since sin has an invese function that sin(x)=sin(y) would imply that x=y if you took the arcsin of both sides, but remember that arcsin has a range of −π/2 ≤ y ≤ π/2 so all that you'll prove is that some value between -pi/2 and pi/2 is equal to itself.)

Last edited:
matt grime: if factorial function is not injective, then why is it that i can show by inspection: if 5! = x!, then x=5? My Math knowledge is limit, so my apology if I am mistaken, but surely, there is no other value that can satisfy x except 5?

James_fl said:
matt grime: if factorial function is not injective, then why is it that i can show by inspection: if 5! = x!, then x=5? My Math knowledge is limit, so my apology if I am mistaken, but surely, there is no other value that can satisfy x except 5?
Couldn't you also by inspection say that if x!=1! that x is either 1 or 0?

dav2008: yes, i could, which means the factorial function is also not injective. But how could a function be injective (assuming my argument is true) and not injective at the same time?

Last edited:
James_fl said:
Because it happens to work for 5 (and many other numbers :wink:), but not in general, so not always.

Who is saying that it's injective?
matt grime said:
It so happens that the factorial function is not injective.

James_fl said:
dav2008: yes, i could, which means the factorial function is also not injective. But how could a function be injective (assuming my argument is true) and not injective at the same time?
It can't, it's either injective or not :confused:

TD: Yes, it doesn't work for 1!, but why? I'm confused :(

James_fl said:

What argument? You've not presented an argument. You do not have a valid argument that ! is injective since it is not. What's the problem? I fail to see the point of this discussion at all.

dav2008 said:
Who is saying that it's injective?

I think I need to clarify. I don't know if it is injective or not, but if it is not injective, and I'm sorry to repeat this, why if 5! = x! then x=5?

While it TD is right in saying that it wouldn't work for some numbers, I still don't get it. Possibly, there is some circular logic in my argument. I'm not sure...

James_fl said:
matt grime: if factorial function is not injective, then why is it that i can show by inspection: if 5! = x!,

Because for every value of x other than 0 or 1 x! determines x. So what's the issue?

James_fl said:
TD: Yes, it doesn't work for 1!, but why? I'm confused :(
Why should it work? It simply doesn't because it doesn't follow from the definition of the factorial.

As Matt showed, why should sin(x) = sin(y) imply x = y? It just doesn't.

If a function y=f(x) is non-injective that just means that there exists at least one value y for which f(x1)=f(x2)=y (Well I guess I said it backwards but I think it's clearer saying it that way for this purpose)

It doesn't mean that every single value of y has to have at least two corresponding values of x.

See this diagram of a non-injunctive function: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Non-injective_and_surjective.png

Last edited by a moderator:
James_fl said:
I think I need to clarify. I don't know if it is injective or not, but if it is not injective, and I'm sorry to repeat this, why if 5! = x! then x=5?

it's clear that ! is not injective since 0!=1! and 0=/=1 which you know, so that makes me think you fail to understand what injective means.

however, if a function fails to be injective it simply means that there are two different inputs mapped to the same output. it doesn't say anything about the behaviour of the function anywhere else. It is perfectly possible that if we exclude the two points we know of that means it fails to be injective then the on the rest of the domain the function might or might not be injective. all things are possible.

While it TD is right in saying that it wouldn't work for some numbers, I still don't get it. Possibly, there is some circular logic in my argument. I'm not sure...

again, what argument?

matt grime: No need to be hostile, I am just a high school student looking to understand a concept. Maybe "argument" is not the correct word since it is only my assumption. I understand to prove a statement, I need to prove it for a general case. So in that sense, 5! = x! means x=5 does not constitute as a proof as it only works for this case.

So, can I just say that since it can't be proven that x! is a one-to-one function, the statement x!=y! does not imply that x = y?

James_fl said:
I understand to prove a statement, I need to prove it for a general case. So in that sense, 5! = x! means x=5 does not constitute as a proof as it only works for this case.
Correct.

James_fl said:
So, can I just say that since it can't be proven that x! is a one-to-one function, the statement x!=y! does not imply that x = y?
Not because it can't be proven, it can even be disproven: 0! = 1! but 0 =/= 1.
So indeed, x! = y! doesn't imply x = y.

whoa a lot of replies.. so the n! function is injective for all values of n except 0 and 1, right?

James_fl said:
matt grime: No need to be hostile, I am just a high school student looking to understand a concept. Maybe "argument" is not the correct word since it is only my assumption. I understand to prove a statement, I need to prove it for a general case. So in that sense, 5! = x! means x=5 does not constitute as a proof as it only works for this case.

a demonstration of one case does not constitute a proof the general. However, you've not said what it is you're trying to prove.

So, can I just say that since it can't be proven that x! is a one-to-one function

well, it can be proven (by example) that it is not injective

the statement x!=y! does not imply that x = y?

correct, and you had the evidence of this in your very first post, which is why I don't see why some 20 posts have been spent on this (and that is not hostility).

To prove something 'for all' whatever you cannot just use one example. However to demonstrate that a statement of 'for all' is false it suffices to find a single counter example (like 0!=1! here). You've just learned the first lesson in what it takes to prove or disprove something.

TD: ok I got it :smile: Thank you.

James_fl said:
whoa a lot of replies.. so the n! function is injective for all values of n except 0 and 1, right?
That depends on your definition of n!
If it is the 'classic factorial' (only defined for natural n), then yes.

matt grime said:
To prove something 'for all' whatever you cannot just use one example. However to demonstrate that a statement of 'for all' is false it suffices to find a single counter example (like 0!=1! here). You've just learned the first lesson in what it takes to prove or disprove something.

Yes, thank you matt grime :wink:

TD: Cool, that clears up a lot of issues!

Thank you all for the help, now I am going to write this answer down!

Good luck with that :smile:

1. How can 0 equal 1?

This statement is a mathematical contradiction, as 0 and 1 are two different numbers with distinct values. Therefore, it is not logically possible for 0 to equal 1.

2. What if we redefine the values of 0 and 1?

Even if we redefine the values of 0 and 1, we would still have two distinct values, making it impossible for 0 to equal 1. The concept of equality is based on the idea that two things must have the same value or quantity in order to be considered equal.

3. Can we manipulate the equation to make it true?

No, it is not possible to manipulate the equation to make 0 equal 1. This is because the equation is based on the fundamental properties of numbers and their operations, which cannot be altered.

4. Is this statement related to quantum mechanics or other scientific theories?

No, this statement is purely a mathematical concept and has no relation to any scientific theories or phenomena. It is simply a logical contradiction in the world of mathematics.

5. What is the significance of this statement in mathematics?

This statement has no significance in mathematics as it contradicts the fundamental concepts of numbers and their operations. It is considered a nonsensical statement and holds no value in mathematical theory or practice.