1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If 3f(x)+f(3-x)=x squared, what's f(x)?

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tried replacing "x" when in parenthese with y. Therefor, 3y+3-y=x, yadda yadda, 2y=x-3, y=(x-3)/2, however, the real answer turned out to be some weird fractional thing. Please give me some kind of direction..

EDIT: Ignore that...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OTHER EDIT!
    Sorry!! yes, my initial trick does work if you replace x by 3-x. I am obviously not thinking straight after having been teaching for 4 hours straight! just replace x by 3-x and then isolate your f(x)!

Ignore the rest....

EDIT: oops. I had read too quickly. My trick won't work right away. You will also have to consider replacing x by minus x to make it work

Start from the initial equation. Substitute x -> x-3 everywhere you see an x (on both sides of the equation. This will give you a new equation containing f(x) and f(x-3). Now use those two equations to get rid of f(3-x) to leave you with an answer for f(x)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3
    3f(3-x)+f(x)=3-x is what I get if I plug in 3-x where x is...

5. Oct 17, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you mean [itex](3-x)^2[/itex] on the right side??

6. Oct 17, 2007 #5
    Oops haha
    So 3f(3-x)+f(x)=(x squared)+9-6x.

So can you tell me where to go from here? I tried substituting y into x again, get (x squared - 6x)/-2, while the real answer is something like x/3+x/5-3 or something. Also, where did the 'plug 3-x for x everywhere' thing came from? And if this is a "topic" I can look up like for quadratic equations, or "f and g compositions"?

7. Oct 17, 2007 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

if you substitute again you will get back to the initial equation. No, just use the two equations you now have. get rid of f(3-x) (isolate it from one equation and plug in the other one) and you can isolate f(x) now.

8. Oct 17, 2007 #7
    I am sorry, I was just reading through this thread: how can you substitute x for x-3? Doesn't this imply -3=0?

9. Oct 17, 2007 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He said substitute for, not set equal to.

If it makes you feel better, try the (equivalent) substitution x -> y - 3.

10. Oct 17, 2007 #9
    3f(3-x)+f(x)=(x squared)+9-6x

get rid of f(3-x) (isolate it from one equation and plug in the other one) and you can isolate f(x) now.
    ===
    If I want to isolate f(x).. it'd be f(x)=xsquared+9-6x-3f(3-x), right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?