If A and B are compact, show AUB is compact.

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compact
In summary, the Heine-Borel theorem states that a subset of a metric space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem can be used to prove that a subset of a metric space, ##A##, is compact.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

If ##A## and ##B## are compact sets in a metric space ##(M, d)##, show that ##AUB## is compact.

Homework Equations

A theorem and two corollaries :

##M## is compact ##⇔## every sequence in ##M## has a sub sequence that converges to a point in ##M##.

Let ##A## be a subset of a metric space ##M##. If ##A## is compact, then ##A## is closed in ##M##.

If ##M## is compact and ##A## is closed, then ##A## is compact.

Heine-Borel theorem : A subset ##K## of ##ℝ^n## is compact ##⇔## ##K## is closed and bounded.

I'm also told that a compact space is the best of all possible worlds :).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm told by the Heine-Borel theorem that a subset ##K## of ##ℝ^n## is compact ##⇔## ##K## is closed and bounded.

I'm thinking I should use this in particular to prove this because I'm told that ##A## and ##B## are compact. I believe this means I can bound the sets like so :

##min(A) ≤ A ≤ max(A)##
and
##min(B) ≤ B ≤ max(B)##.

The rest of this seems a bit too straightforward? Am I over thinking this or overlooking something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a sequence ##(x_i)## in ##A\cup B##. Infinitely many points of the sequence will be contained in either ##A## or ##B##. The rest should be straightforward.

Also, Heine-Borel only applies in ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##, as you yourself have noted, so it will not work for arbitrary metric spaces. Additionally, ##\text{min}(A)## and ##\text{max}(A)## make no sense in arbitrary metric spaces. A bounded subset of a metric space is one which can be contained in an open ball.

Definition: [itex]A[/itex] is compact if and only if every open cover of [itex]A[/itex] has a finite subcover.

Hint: Every open cover of [itex]A \cup B[/itex] is an open cover of [itex]A[/itex], and also an open cover of [itex]B[/itex].

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
Definition: [itex]A[/itex] is compact if and only if every open cover of [itex]A[/itex] has a finite subcover.
Personally knowing that Zondrina is working through Carothers' text on real analysis, the open cover definition of compactness is only introduced later on in the chapter, whereas the above problem shows up at the very start of the chapter.

WannabeNewton said:
Also, Heine-Borel only applies in ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##, as you yourself have noted

It also applies to ##ℝ##.

It was generalized to ##ℝ^n## right after they stated it for ##ℝ##.

##\mathbb{R}## is just ##\mathbb{R}^{n}## with ##n = 1##. Anyways, did you finish the proof (using either the method suggested by pasmith or myself)?

WannabeNewton said:
##\mathbb{R}## is just ##\mathbb{R}^{n}## with ##n = 1##. Anyways, did you finish the proof (using either the method suggested by pasmith or myself)?

I think this is correct so far :

Let ##x_i## be an open cover for ##A \cup B##. Then we know ##x_i## is also an open cover for ##A## or ##B##.

Now I'm given that ##A## and ##B## are compact, so by another one of the hints I've been given I know that there exist finite sub covers for both ##A## and ##B## respectively.

I'm thinking from here I wound define these finite sub covers for ##A## and ##B## and then the union of these two finite sub covers is an open cover for ##A \cup B##. Would that not be sufficient to say that ##A \cup B## is compact?

If you're going with open covers then that's the idea yea. But it's insanely trivial if you just use sequences. If ##(x_i)## is a sequence in ##A\cup B## then infinitely many points of the sequence belong to either ##A## or ##B##. This defines a subsequence in ##A## or ##B## which itself has a subsequence that converges to a point in ##A## or ##B## hence ##(x_i)## has a convergent subsequence in ##A\cup B##. It doesn't matter in the end since sequential compactness and open cover compactness are equivalent for metric spaces (but not so in more general spaces wherein the open cover compactness is the general definition).

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
If you're going with open covers then that's the idea yea. But it's insanely trivial if you just use sequences. If ##(x_i)## is a sequence in ##A\cup B## then infinitely many points of the sequence belong to either ##A## or ##B##. This defines a subsequence in ##A## or ##B## which itself has a subsequence that converges to a point in ##A## or ##B## hence ##(x_i)## has a convergent subsequence in ##A\cup B##.

I see what you did there. I love that you can take a sequence which may not necessarily converge, but has a convergent sub sequence and do math. Thanks for clarifying that though.

Anytime. But yes your open cover method is equally fine. Cheers.

1. What is the definition of compactness in mathematics?

Compactness is a property of topological spaces, which is a mathematical concept used to describe the properties of sets and their elements. A topological space is considered compact if every open cover of the space has a finite subcover that covers the entire space.

2. What does it mean for two sets to be compact?

If two sets A and B are compact, it means that both sets satisfy the definition of compactness. This means that any open cover of the set can be reduced to a finite subcover that still covers the entire set.

3. How can we prove that AUB is compact if A and B are compact sets?

To prove that AUB is compact, we need to show that any open cover of AUB can be reduced to a finite subcover. Since A and B are both compact, we know that any open cover of A and B can be reduced to a finite subcover. Therefore, by combining the finite subcovers of A and B, we can create a finite subcover for AUB, proving its compactness.

4. Is the compactness of AUB dependent on the topological space in which A and B exist?

Yes, the compactness of AUB is dependent on the topological space in which A and B exist. In different topological spaces, the definition of compactness may vary, which can affect the compactness of AUB. Therefore, it is important to consider the specific topological space when proving the compactness of AUB.

5. Can AUB be compact if either A or B is not compact?

No, AUB cannot be compact if either A or B is not compact. In order for AUB to be compact, both A and B must satisfy the definition of compactness. If either A or B is not compact, then the entire set AUB cannot be considered compact.