If A is contained in B, then the interior of A is contained in B.

• Thread starter kpoltorak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interior
In summary: That is correct. In summary, the given problem asks to prove that if A and B are subsets of a topological space X and A is a subset of B, then the interior of A is a proper subset of the interior of B. This can be proven using the fact that for any subset X of a topological space, the interior of X is equal to X itself if and only if X is an open set.
kpoltorak

Homework Statement

Given that A and B are in a topology, show that if A is contained in B, then the interior of A is contained in B.

Homework Equations

The interior of A:={a: there exists a neighborhood which is a subset of A}

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove that the interior of A is contained in OR EQUAL TO the interior of B but I am having trouble showing that they cannot be equal. I have tried setting int(A)=int(B) and working towards a contradiction to no avail.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the interior of R and Q?
I can't think of any nonempty ones off the top of my head.

The interior of Q is empty, and I believe the interior of R would be R if the topology is in R.

There's no contradiction if a subset actually coincides with its superset. You've evidently proven the result.

Sorry, my original post was not entirely correct. I need to prove that the the interior of A is a PROPER subset of the interior of B.

So you're given that A is a proper subset of B? Is the lemma that given A a proper subset of B, int(A) is a proper subset of int(B)? Why isn't [tex]A=\text{int}(A), B = \bar{A}[/tex] a counterexample, where [tex]\bar{A}[/tex] is the closure of A? Serious question as I'm mainly a physicist.

Edit: I meant [tex]A=\text{int}(C), B = \bar{C}[/tex].

Last edited:
Are you working in a topological space? If you are, it just suffices to show [tex] \cup \{ X \in \tau : X\subseteq B \mbox{ and } X \cap A = \emptyset \}[/tex] is nonempty.

If you're working in R^2 you can just play around with lengths to get proper bounds for epsilon.

Last edited:
another similar counter example, what if B is the union of A with a discrete point not contained in any neighbourhood of A

then doesn't
int(A) = int(B)

can you write the question exactly as it was stated?

I believe I have found an answer. [tex]\forall{X}\in{\tau}:X=X^{\circ}[/tex]
Where [tex]X^{\circ}[/tex] is the interior of X, and [tex]\tau[/tex] is a topological space. Doing some reading I found a definition of a topology which defines it as a collection of open sets, and then a definition which said that a set is open iff it is equal to its interior.

Can somebody please verify this is true?

The exact question:

Let [tex]X[/tex] be topological space. Prove that if [tex]A,B \subset{X}[/tex] and [tex]A\subset{B}[/tex] then
a) [tex]A^{\circ}\subset{B^{\circ}}[/tex]
b) [tex]\bar{A} \subset \bar{B}[/tex]

Last edited:
Generally, in the literature [tex]\subset[/tex] is synonymous with [tex]\subseteq[/tex]. [tex]\varsubsetneq \not= \subset[/tex]

ZioX said:
Generally, in the literature [tex]\subset[/tex] is synonymous with [tex]\subseteq[/tex]. [tex]\varsubsetneq \not= \subset[/tex]

Apparently not in this particular piece of literature (my homework): http://www.stat.psu.edu/~arkady/403/HWKs/Assignment%205.pdf" [Broken] See Problem C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everybody for your help, I believe I have enough information to solve the problem.

sorry, I shortcutted to A & B subsets of a topological space

as you point out if A & B are in the topology they are open and equal to their interior, thus it holds for subsets & their proper subsets

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for A to be contained in B?

When we say that A is contained in B, it means that every element of A is also an element of B. In other words, A is a subset of B.

2. How is this different from saying that the interior of A is contained in B?

The interior of A refers to the set of all points within A that are not on the boundary of A. So, if the interior of A is contained in B, it means that all the points within A are also elements of B, and that the boundary points of A (if any) are not necessarily included in B.

3. Why is it important for the interior of A to be contained in B if A is contained in B?

It is important because the interior of A captures the essence of A, while the boundary points may not be as relevant. So, if the interior of A is contained in B, it ensures that B contains the most important and relevant parts of A.

4. Can the interior of A be contained in B without A being contained in B?

No, this is not possible. If the interior of A is contained in B, it means that all the elements of A are also elements of B. Therefore, A must also be contained in B.

5. Is this statement always true for any sets A and B?

No, this statement is not always true. In order for the interior of A to be contained in B, it is necessary for A to be a subset of B. However, there may be cases where A is not a subset of B, and therefore the statement would not hold true.