If ab is in a subgroup, are a and b neccessarily in the subgroup?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Subgroup
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Ryker
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


I was just wondering if the product ab is in a subgroup, are a and b necessarily in the subgroup, as well?

The Attempt at a Solution


I think they are, but how would you prove that? Or is that obvious from closure under multiplication and you don't need to prove it? I know it works the "normal" way, that is if a and b are in the subgroup (or group), then ab is in it, as well, but I'm not sure about the reverse direction.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The identity e is in every subgroup. a*a^(-1)=e for all elements of the group. That doesn't mean a is in every subgroup.
 
Ah, I see, so it only works one way then? Thanks for the quick response.
 
Oh, sorry, one more thing, (ab)-1 is always b-1a-1, though, right?
 
Ryker said:
Oh, sorry, one more thing, (ab)-1 is always b-1a-1, though, right?

Sure. Multiply b^(-1)a^(-1) and ab. What do you get?