Subgroup of an arbitrary group

In summary: Understood, thank you for the helpIn summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if a group G has subgroups H and K, and H is a subset of K, then H is also a subgroup of K. The author first presents a proof involving closure under multiplication and inverses, but the other participant suggests a simpler proof that relies on the fact that H already satisfies all group axioms as a subset of G. The conversation also touches on the importance of including the unit element in the proof, as well as a useful result for determining if a subset S of G is a subgroup of G.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Let G be a group. Let H and K be subgroups of G. Prove that if
H ##\subseteq## K, then H is a subgroup of K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

H is a subset of K and H,K are groups.
if x,y, xy ##\epsilon## H, then x,y, xy ##\epsilon## K.
So H is closed under multiplication such that for all x, y, xy ##\epsilon## H,
x, y, xy ##\epsilon## K.

if ##x, x^{-1} \epsilon## H then ##x, x^{-1} \epsilon## K
So H is closed under inverses such that
for all ##x^{-1} \epsilon## H, ##x^{-1} \epsilon## K

H is a subset of K and H is closed under multiplication and closed under inverses so H is also a subgroup of K.

is what I wrote clear?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot "H contains the unit element", but otherwise fine.
I think you can make this argument much simpler though. You already know that H satisfies all group axioms, since it is a subset of G. Since it is also a subset of K it is a subset of K that satisfies all group axioms and therefore a subgroup of K.

Orodruin said:
You forgot "H contains the unit element", but otherwise fine.
I think you can make this argument much simpler though. You already know that H satisfies all group axioms, since it is a subset of G. Since it is also a subset of K it is a subset of K that satisfies all group axioms and therefore a subgroup of K.

Thanks for showing me the simpler proof. About the unit element, isn't this implied if H is closed under inverses so is mentioning it just good form? Or is there a case where a set is closed under inverses but does not have the unit element?

fishturtle1 said:
Thanks for showing me the simpler proof. About the unit element, isn't this implied if H is closed under inverses so is mentioning it just good form? Or is there a case where a set is closed under inverses but does not have the unit element?
No, you are correct. If the set contains the inverses of all its elements and is closed under the group operation, then the identity must be part of the set. I am just used to ticking off all the group axioms. Also, if you are given a particular subset, it is usually easier to check whether the identity belongs to it than checking if all the inverses do so it might be less work to show that it not a subgroup (if this is the case) just by noting that the identity is not there. Although I have to admit that I omit the associativity property for checking if a group is a subgroup...

Orodruin said:
No, you are correct. If the set contains the inverses of all its elements and is closed under the group operation, then the identity must be part of the set. I am just used to ticking off all the group axioms. Also, if you are given a particular subset, it is usually easier to check whether the identity belongs to it than checking if all the inverses do so it might be less work to show that it not a subgroup (if this is the case) just by noting that the identity is not there. Although I have to admit that I omit the associativity property for checking if a group is a subgroup...
Understood, thank you for the help

A nice result is that a subset S of G is a subgroup of G if for all x,y in S ## xy^{-1} \in S ##.

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger group that itself forms a group under the same operation. This means that it contains all the necessary elements and follows the same rules as the larger group.

How is a subgroup different from a group?

A subgroup is a smaller version of a group, while still following the same rules. It is a subset of the larger group, and can be formed by choosing specific elements from the larger group.

What is the importance of subgroups in group theory?

Subgroups play a crucial role in group theory as they allow for the study and analysis of smaller, more manageable groups within a larger group. They also help to identify patterns and structures within a group.

How can we determine if a subset is a subgroup of a given group?

In order for a subset to be a subgroup of a group, it must follow three conditions: closure, identity, and inverse. This means that the subset must contain all necessary elements, have an identity element, and have an inverse element for each element in the subset.

Are there different types of subgroups?

Yes, there are different types of subgroups such as normal subgroups, cyclic subgroups, and proper subgroups. These subgroups have different properties and play different roles in group theory.