If all of spacetime was created with the Big Bang....

In summary: People like Stephen Hawking talk about things/events "before" the Big Bang because they're using the term "Big Bang" properly, to refer, not to an "initial singularity" in idealized models that we know don't correctly describe the very, very early universe, but to the hot, dense, rapidly expanding state that is the earliest state of the universe for which we have good evidence. We don't know for sure what preceded that state, but the current best hypothesis is that it was preceded by an era of inflation.People like Stephen Hawking talk about things/events "before" the Big Bang because they're using the term "Big Bang" properly.
rumborak
...why do people like Stephen Hawking talk about things/events "before" the Big Bang? If time (as part of spacetime) was created with this event, it also marks the point in time that had no "before", doesn't it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's believed that the big bang singularity, which is what leads people to say that spacetime was "created" in the big bang, is simply an artifact of our incomplete knowledge of physics at the extreme energy and density scales of the very early universe. It's a bit like predicting that the EM force becomes infinite as you approach the center of an atom. Before the advent of quantum physics we had no idea why the force did not become infinite, even though our theories predicted it would. Now we know better. Same for the big bang. That's why physicists like to talk about things that happened before the big bang. They know that our theories and models are likely incorrect and are continuing the search for better and more accurate theories.

Drakkith said:
That's why physicists like to talk about things that happened before the big bang.
Caveat - only Physicists who know what they're talking about. Common clods like you and me need to be very careful about that. :smile:

rumborak said:
why do people like Stephen Hawking talk about things/events "before" the Big Bang?

Because they're using the term "Big Bang" properly, to refer, not to an "initial singularity" in idealized models that we know don't correctly describe the very, very early universe, but to the hot, dense, rapidly expanding state that is the earliest state of the universe for which we have good evidence. We don't know for sure what preceded that state, but the current best hypothesis is that it was preceded by an era of inflation.

Likes weirdoguy
Well ... but doesn't that usage imply the assumption that normal physics prevailed during that process, i.e. that spacetime was "intact" enough to give a notion of a "before"? It's probably a good assumption ("barring contrary evidence, assume everything stays the same"), but at the same time the event is so outside of normal physics operation that it's not (I would think).

What would you call the "time" before space-time?

rumborak said:
doesn't that usage imply the assumption that normal physics prevailed during that process, i.e. that spacetime was "intact" enough to give a notion of a "before"?

If you mean, is there spacetime "before" the Big Bang when that term is used properly, yes, there is. As I said, we don't know for sure what occupies the spacetime before the Big Bang, but our best current hypothesis is that it was an era of inflation.

Jetro said:
What would you call the "time" before space-time?

There is no such thing.

PeterDonis said:
There is no such thing.

Disregarding the Big Bang event for a moment, I find that topic incredibly interesting from a standpoint of causality. At least to me, causality implies the requirement of time. So, if it is nonsensical to ask "what was before spacetime", then isn't nonsensical to ask "what casued/created spacetime"?
(Totally aware that I am straddling philosophical/religious considerations here, I just find the thought that millenia of questioning might eventually be answered by "it's a stupid/nonsensical question", somewhat amusing)

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that around 13.8 billion years ago, all matter, energy, and space itself was compressed into an infinitely dense and hot point, known as a singularity. This singularity then rapidly expanded and cooled, creating the universe we know today.

2. How was spacetime created in the Big Bang?

According to the Big Bang theory, spacetime was created at the moment of the singularity's expansion. This expansion is known as inflation and it is what caused the rapid expansion of the universe. As space and time are intrinsically linked, the creation of space also meant the creation of time.

3. Can we observe the Big Bang?

No, we cannot directly observe the Big Bang itself. This is because the intense heat and radiation from the early universe has since cooled and expanded, making it impossible for us to see it now. However, we can observe the afterglow of the Big Bang, known as cosmic microwave background radiation, which provides evidence for the theory.

4. What happened before the Big Bang?

It is currently unknown what, if anything, existed before the Big Bang. The concept of time and space as we know it may not have existed before the singularity's expansion. Some theories suggest that the Big Bang may have been the result of a previous universe collapsing in on itself, but this is still a topic of much debate and research.

5. Is the Big Bang the only theory for the origin of the universe?

No, the Big Bang is not the only theory for the origin of the universe, but it is currently the most widely accepted by the scientific community. Other theories, such as the Steady State theory and the Multiverse theory, have been proposed, but they have not been as well-supported by evidence and observations as the Big Bang theory.