1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If dy/dt = ky and k is a nonzero constant, y could be

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If dy/dt = ky and k is a nonzero constant, than y could be

a. 2e^kty
    b. 2e^kt
    c. e^kt + 3
    d. kty + 5
    e. .5ky^2 + .5

Correct answer is b. 2e^kt

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know what I should be doing. I have a feeling I have to work backwards, therefore do the integral of ky? But if that is the case, I have no idea how e^kt is created through that integral. 2e^kt reminded me of Ce^kt, but that doesn't have anything to do with this problem either.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    Look at the derivative of e^kt and see how that relates to e^kt.

4. May 2, 2010 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The 'correct' thing to do would be

dy/dt = ky

∫ dy/y = ∫ k dt

But since you have a multiple choice, you could quickly differentiate each one if you wanted to.

5. May 2, 2010 #4
    Hm.. this is what I got when I did ∫ dy/y = ∫ k dt

lny = kt
    y = e^kt

Where does the 2 come from? I guessed it would have to be from a square, but when you do the integral of a number (since k is a nonzero constant) you multiply the constant with a variable with an exponent of 1, not 2.

6. May 2, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

you'd get

ln y = kt+A such that y=ekt+A=Bekt where B is a constant. So B can be any number, such as '2'.

7. May 2, 2010 #6
    Ah, I forgot about that. Thanks!

8. May 2, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If this means y=-2e^(kty) then its derivative is dy/dt= 2ke^(kty)(ky+ kt(dy/dt)).
    dy/dt(1- 2kt e^(kty)= 2k^y e^(kty). No, that differential equation is not satisfied.

If y= 2e^(kt), then dy/dt= 2(ke^(kt))= k(2e^(kt))= ky and satisfies the equation.
    (I am assuming the parentheses combine these as you wanted- that you did not intend 2(e^k)t.)

If y= e^(kt)+ 3, then y'= ke^(kt) which is not ky= k(e^(kt)+ 3)

If y= kty+ 5, then dy/dt= ky+ kt dy/dt so dy/dt(1- kt)= ky and dy/dt= (k/(1-kt) y. That does not satisfy the given equation.

If y= .5y^2+ .5, then dy/dt= 1.0 y dy/dt so dy/dt(1- y)= 0. Either dy/dt= 0 or y= 1. That does not satisfy the given equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?