1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If each letter stands for a number

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If each letter stands for a number from 0 to 9 (and different letters stand for different
    numbers), find the numerical value of each letter in this addition:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    (1) N + D = R

(2) I + I = E ----> I = E/2, which means E must be even

(3) R = E

These were my initial conjectures. However, I now feel that they are wrong. At first, I thought that there was no carrying over of digits--which would be a helpful fact--; then I realized that D was in the 1000's place, which implies that there must have been some carrying over.

Could someone help me?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the problem is in base 10 (digits are 0-9) we can avoid carrying by expanding the numbers thus:
    (1000*D +100*E + 10*E + R) = (10*I + N) + (100*R + 10*I + D)

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    So, were my three initial observations correct or incorrect?

5. Sep 7, 2013 #4
    3) is definitely incorrect........
    Start with D. :wink:

6. Sep 7, 2013 #5
    What do you mean by "start with D?" Yeah, I figured that 3) would be wrong, seeing as they don't meet the requirement of being distinct numbers.

7. Sep 7, 2013 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is a puzzle - it resolves to 999D + 110E = 99R + 20I + N where D,E,R,I,N are five distinct digits.

At this point you can try different combinations for a while ... a small computer program would find any possible solutions very quickly. Of course there may be something very clever that can be done, but I prefer algorithms to cleverness - they get the work done.

8. Sep 7, 2013 #7
    Now, can I take the equation 999D + 110E = 99R + 20I + N, solve for N, and choose values for D, E, R and I such that N is an integer and N does not equal one of the other letters?

9. Sep 7, 2013 #8

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes ... though you actually need to provide a guess for all five at one time since there is only one equation!

If you are clever you may find a way to generate more equations ... but I don't; that's why I suggested a small computer program to cycle through all of the possible combinations. In other words, guess and check!

Looking at the original expressions it is clear that there is a carry from the I+I column - therefor D=R+1. That gives you another equation to work with. And to get a carry from 2I (an even number) you must have I>4 (because a carry from the previous column can add no more than 1). We also know that D is the result of a carry, hence D=1.

So I guess that cleverness can simplify things after all - all I needed was a bite to eat and I began to see things.

Now you can work through the rest ... and when you cannot go any further, guess the rest.

10. Sep 7, 2013 #9
    How is it clear that there is a carry over from the I+I column?

11. Sep 7, 2013 #10

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Otherwise R=E which violates the rules.

12. Sep 7, 2013 #11

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since D is the result of a carry, D=1; but DE = R + 1 (from the carry from I + I) ... thus R=9, D=1, and E=0.

Thus DEER = 1009.

I doubt that my method is good enough for the Putnam exam - but I do keep plugging away! I hope that you are having as much fun as I am. I now notice that the first column has N+D=R or maybe N+D=1R if there is a carry ... but D=1, R=9 ... so N=8.

That means there is no carry so I + I = 1E =10, so I = 5.

So 58 + 951 = 1009. So it can be solved by paying attention - thus proving that computers are not always required.

13. Sep 7, 2013 #12
    I am rather confused. First, you write DE = R + 1. Secondly, what is the difference between N + D = R and
    N + D = 1R?

14. Sep 7, 2013 #13
    Also, why isn't it R = E + 1, instead of DE = R + 1

15. Sep 7, 2013 #14
    UltrafastPED, I found out where you are wrong. E can't equal 10.

16. Sep 7, 2013 #15

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well the rest is up to you!

17. Sep 7, 2013 #16
    All right. Let's recap. D must be one, because it is the result of a carry over, so no other letter can assume the value 1. E must be even, because 2I = E; however, we know that [itex]E \ne I \ne 0[/itex], otherwise I = E, which doesn't meet the conditions specified in the problem. If we solve for N, then we get the function N(E,R,I) = 999 + 110E -99R -20I. Before I proceed with substituting in random values, how many combinations do we have? I know there are 4 choices for E. Does that leave 8 choices for R, and 7 choices for I?

Oh wait!!!!!!! E can't exceeed 10, meaning we can't choose any numbers exceeding 5 for I. This means that I can be 2, 3, or 4.

Let me work out the rest of the details. Feel free to respond before I do!

18. Sep 7, 2013 #17
    Hmmm, this doesn't seem to be working. If I = 2, then E = 4. So, are function is N(4,R,I). Let R = 9, then

N(4,9,4) = 508, which isn't an integer between 0 and 9.

19. Sep 7, 2013 #18
    I think I might have to ask my professor concerning this problem.

20. Sep 7, 2013 #19
    What is the maximum carry over when two numbers less than 10 are added?
    From this you can get both R, D and E.

21. Sep 7, 2013 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You forgot I.

:tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted