If each letter stands for a number

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the numerical value of each letter in an addition problem where each letter stands for a different number from 0 to 9. The problem can be solved by expanding the numbers and trying different combinations. The solution involves paying attention and logical deductions to determine the values of each letter. The maximum carry over when adding two numbers less than 10 is 1, which can help in solving for the values of R, D, E, and I.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

If each letter stands for a number from 0 to 9 (and different letters stand for different
numbers), find the numerical value of each letter in this addition:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) N + D = R

(2) I + I = E ----> I = E/2, which means E must be even

(3) R = E

These were my initial conjectures. However, I now feel that they are wrong. At first, I thought that there was no carrying over of digits--which would be a helpful fact--; then I realized that D was in the 1000's place, which implies that there must have been some carrying over.

Could someone help me?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    296 bytes · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem is in base 10 (digits are 0-9) we can avoid carrying by expanding the numbers thus:
(1000*D +100*E + 10*E + R) = (10*I + N) + (100*R + 10*I + D)

So, were my three initial observations correct or incorrect?

3) is definitely incorrect...
Start with D. :wink:

What do you mean by "start with D?" Yeah, I figured that 3) would be wrong, seeing as they don't meet the requirement of being distinct numbers.

The problem is a puzzle - it resolves to 999D + 110E = 99R + 20I + N where D,E,R,I,N are five distinct digits.

At this point you can try different combinations for a while ... a small computer program would find any possible solutions very quickly. Of course there may be something very clever that can be done, but I prefer algorithms to cleverness - they get the work done.

Now, can I take the equation 999D + 110E = 99R + 20I + N, solve for N, and choose values for D, E, R and I such that N is an integer and N does not equal one of the other letters?

Yes ... though you actually need to provide a guess for all five at one time since there is only one equation!

If you are clever you may find a way to generate more equations ... but I don't; that's why I suggested a small computer program to cycle through all of the possible combinations. In other words, guess and check!

Looking at the original expressions it is clear that there is a carry from the I+I column - therefor D=R+1. That gives you another equation to work with. And to get a carry from 2I (an even number) you must have I>4 (because a carry from the previous column can add no more than 1). We also know that D is the result of a carry, hence D=1.

So I guess that cleverness can simplify things after all - all I needed was a bite to eat and I began to see things.

Now you can work through the rest ... and when you cannot go any further, guess the rest.

How is it clear that there is a carry over from the I+I column?

Otherwise R=E which violates the rules.

Since D is the result of a carry, D=1; but DE = R + 1 (from the carry from I + I) ... thus R=9, D=1, and E=0.

Thus DEER = 1009.

I doubt that my method is good enough for the Putnam exam - but I do keep plugging away! I hope that you are having as much fun as I am. I now notice that the first column has N+D=R or maybe N+D=1R if there is a carry ... but D=1, R=9 ... so N=8.

That means there is no carry so I + I = 1E =10, so I = 5.

So 58 + 951 = 1009. So it can be solved by paying attention - thus proving that computers are not always required.

I am rather confused. First, you write DE = R + 1. Secondly, what is the difference between N + D = R and
N + D = 1R?

Also, why isn't it R = E + 1, instead of DE = R + 1

UltrafastPED, I found out where you are wrong. E can't equal 10.

Well the rest is up to you!

All right. Let's recap. D must be one, because it is the result of a carry over, so no other letter can assume the value 1. E must be even, because 2I = E; however, we know that [itex]E \ne I \ne 0[/itex], otherwise I = E, which doesn't meet the conditions specified in the problem. If we solve for N, then we get the function N(E,R,I) = 999 + 110E -99R -20I. Before I proceed with substituting in random values, how many combinations do we have? I know there are 4 choices for E. Does that leave 8 choices for R, and 7 choices for I?

Oh wait! E can't exceeed 10, meaning we can't choose any numbers exceeding 5 for I. This means that I can be 2, 3, or 4.

Let me work out the rest of the details. Feel free to respond before I do!

Hmmm, this doesn't seem to be working. If I = 2, then E = 4. So, are function is N(4,R,I). Let R = 9, then

N(4,9,4) = 508, which isn't an integer between 0 and 9.

I think I might have to ask my professor concerning this problem.

What is the maximum carry over when two numbers less than 10 are added?
From this you can get both R, D and E.

Enigman said:

You forgot I.

:tongue:

:biggrin:
The O.P. needs to figure something out himself...

Enigman said:

From my notes from this morning, I was only able to initially logically deduce the values of R & D in my brain. Your brain must be bigger than mine. hmmm...

And why is this post in "Calculus & Beyond Homework" section? This belongs in either the "Fun, Photos & Games" or "Precalculus Mathematics Homework" section. I'd push that gosh darned report button, but it never says anything about misplaced questions...

oh poop. They changed the wording...

... or for other reasons.

I didn't get the memo...

Admins*...

:grumpy:

--------------------
* always changing the rules, and never informing the flotsam...

I should probably PM lisab about this thread. She might enjoy a 30 second mathematical recreation.

Last edited:
Enigman said:

What precisely do you mean by this? Have I not been able to determine so portions of the problem myself?

Enigman said:

The maximum carry over is one, which is a fact I used in my solutions.

You know already that D=1, R=9 and E=0. Substitute the letters with these numbers in the sum.

...I N
...9 I 1
--------
1 0 0 9

The sum of two one-digit numbers can not exceed 9+9=18. Therefore N+1 = 9. N?
As there is no carry at N+1, I+I=0 or I+I=10. But I cannot be 0. I+I carries 1. So what is I?

ehild

Or just see message #8 from yesterday!

Bashyboy said:
What precisely do you mean by this? Have I not been able to determine so portions of the problem myself?
Woops, sorry, no offence :redface:. I'm really pissed at this thread as I already gave a quite detailed explanation with the answer and a mentor spotted it, deleted it and sent me a 'notice' for not complying with PF rules.:grumpy:

Enigman said:
Woops, sorry, no offence :redface:. I'm really pissed at this thread as I already gave a quite detailed explanation with the answer and a mentor spotted it, deleted it and sent me a 'notice' for not complying with PF rules.:grumpy:

No, need to worry, I wasn't offended; I just wanted to make it clear that I was, to some degree, trying the answer myself. Really, they deleted the post? That's unfortunate.

I want to thank y'all earnestly for your aid.

1. What is the meaning of "If each letter stands for a number"?

"If each letter stands for a number" refers to a type of mathematical puzzle or game where the letters in a word or phrase are replaced with numbers, typically using a consistent rule or pattern.

2. How do you solve a puzzle where each letter stands for a number?

To solve a puzzle where each letter stands for a number, you must first determine the rule or pattern used to assign numbers to letters. Then, you can use this rule to replace the letters with their corresponding numbers and solve the puzzle.

3. Can any letter stand for any number in this type of puzzle?

In most cases, each letter in a puzzle where each letter stands for a number is replaced with a unique number. However, some puzzles may allow for certain letters to be interchangeable with other letters. It is important to pay attention to any given rules or patterns when solving these puzzles.

4. What is the purpose of these types of puzzles?

The purpose of puzzles where each letter stands for a number is to challenge the mind and improve problem-solving skills. They also provide a fun and entertaining way to practice basic math and logic skills.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for solving these types of puzzles?

Some tips for solving puzzles where each letter stands for a number include looking for common patterns or relationships between letters and numbers, starting with the letters that have the most restrictions, and using trial and error with educated guesses. Practice and patience are also key to improving one's ability to solve these types of puzzles.