If each orbital can hold a maximum of 3 electrons

In summary, the number of elements in the 4th period of the long form of the periodic table will be 18. This is because each orbital in this period can hold a maximum of 3 electrons, allowing for 3 elements in the 4s orbital, 10 elements in the 3d orbital, and 5 elements in the 4p orbital. This results in a total of 18 elements in the 4th period.
xiphoid

Homework Statement

If each orbital can hold a maximum of 3 electrons, the number of elements in the 4th period of long form of periodic table will be?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not able to decide from where should I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi xiphoid! :smile:

i don't understand the question …

there are no orbitals which hold a maximum of 3 electrons :confused:

(the maximum would always be even, anyway … spin-ups matching spin-downs)

what exactly is the question, and the background to it?​

I bet it is a hypothetical question. That doesn't mean it makes sense.

This question is just to develop the thinking skill of the student!
It does not/ never is related to the original/factual happening around or perhaps inside the nucleus.
From where should i start.
I guess, the moment i get the completely filled configuration of noble gas, the number of elements preceding to them would be the answer, but again from where to start?
By taking the default configuration of element in the mentioned period?
Borek said:
I bet it is a hypothetical question. That doesn't mean it makes sense.

Yep this IS hypothetical. 4th Period means that electrons are being filled in specifically, 4s, 3d, 4p orbitals.

Calculate the number of electrons you can fill. Try.

Likes honey
Here is a hint, the first period of the long form periodic table contains two elements. This is because each s orbital can only contain 2 electrons. Thus, there can only be two elements; one with Z=1 and the other with Z=2.

In your problem you can have 3 electrons per orbital. So this version of the periodic table must have three elements in the first period with Z=1, Z=2 and Z=3 and the element corresponding to Z=3 is the first noble gas. You can do the same analysis for the second, third and fourth period.

1. How many electrons can fit in an orbital?

The maximum number of electrons that can fit in an orbital is 3.

2. What is the significance of an orbital holding a maximum of 3 electrons?

The maximum of 3 electrons in an orbital is based on the Pauli Exclusion Principle, which states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. Therefore, each orbital can only hold a maximum of 3 electrons with different spin states.

3. Can an orbital hold more than 3 electrons?

No, an orbital cannot hold more than 3 electrons as it would violate the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

4. How does the number of electrons in an orbital affect an atom's properties?

The number of electrons in an orbital affects an atom's properties by determining its electronic configuration, which in turn determines its chemical and physical properties. The arrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals also influences its reactivity and bonding behavior.

5. Are all orbitals capable of holding 3 electrons?

No, not all orbitals can hold 3 electrons. The maximum number of electrons that an orbital can hold depends on its type (s, p, d, or f) and its energy level. For example, an s orbital can only hold 2 electrons, while a d orbital can hold a maximum of 10 electrons.