If everything has energy Which thing can be an energy source?

In summary, energy can be obtained from the differences in states of energy, such as temperature and velocity differences or differences in potential energy. However, a physical object can only become a viable source of energy if it is able to produce an excess of energy compared to its surroundings. This can be achieved through various mechanisms, such as heat transfer or gravitational potential. The term "energy source" is not well-defined in science and it is important to properly define it in order to answer the question.
Miyz
If everything has energy... Which "thing" can be an energy source?

Well...

If we look at everything in this world,galaxy,universe, We find that every physical object is capable of doing work... If we apply the proper "INPUT" force within a distance in this humongous universe work can be done.

Now...
When can a physical object "become" a viable source of energy?

Let the discussion begin!

Miyz,

Physics news on Phys.org

It's difficult to give a totally watertight answer but it would be true to say that Useful Energy or USeful Work can be obtained from a situation where there is an excess of energy somewhere compared with the energy somewhere else. It works on relative differences between states of energy. Temperature or Velocity differences can be exploited ( Kinetic Energies ) or differences in Potential Energy, like the chemical battery, a coiled spring or the position in some force field (electric or gravitation, for instance).

Much like this thread -(my opinion)- is the OP the energy source or is sophiecentaur's response now the viable source of energy? I agree it depends upon the relative differences .

sophiecentaur said:
It's difficult to give a totally watertight answer but it would be true to say that Useful Energy or USeful Work can be obtained from a situation where there is an excess of energy somewhere compared with the energy somewhere else. It works on relative differences between states of energy. Temperature or Velocity differences can be exploited ( Kinetic Energies ) or differences in Potential Energy, like the chemical battery, a coiled spring or the position in some force field (electric or gravitation, for instance).

Good point, if we have a source that is capable of producing an excess of force can that be considered an energy source? It should? Since its increase the potential of Work anda change in a system kinetic energy if applied.

Gas for example is a viable source of energy, when placed in a chamber of no heat. It stays with no excess of energy, yet when heat is applied excessively that gas can become a major source of work. When I think about it, some causes require the presence of a force to all work to happen or for us to harness energy we require a source that a force acted/ or acts on it. Really were all living off the energy of the big bang in theory, because that enormous explosion was the main kick for everything...

You should avoid confusing Energy and Force here and the concept of "no heat" is also dodgy. Where could you have 'no heat', except at absolute zero?
You have the choice of two avenues to follow this, I think. You can either be strictly rigorous in all your terms and stick to accepted models or you can enjoy arm waving. Either would be good fun but the latter wouldn't really have a place in this area of PF, I feel.

Miyz, I don't think that "energy source" is a well-defined scientific term. I think that if you were to take the time to define it properly then the question would essentially answer itself.

sophiecentaur said:
You should avoid confusing Energy and Force here and the concept of "no heat" is also dodgy. Where could you have 'no heat', except at absolute zero?
You have the choice of two avenues to follow this, I think. You can either be strictly rigorous in all your terms and stick to accepted models or you can enjoy arm waving. Either would be good fun but the latter wouldn't really have a place in this area of PF, I feel.

Im not confusing energy and force, fact is on is a scalar and the other is a vector, One is the whole (Energy), and one is a factor of the "whole"(Force). I don't mix them but I like to strip energy into a simpler image. If you have a family that consists of many individuals, and you'd like to research that family you'd prefer to strip each member a part and study them fairly don't you agree? In my analogy I showed how an energy source is useless by its own, only when a certain "factor" is applied to it, it changes the WHOLE outcome.

DaleSpam said:
Miyz, I don't think that "energy source" is a well-defined scientific term. I think that if you were to take the time to define it properly then the question would essentially answer itself.

Could you help me in that?
I'd want to answer it on my own but I lose my self with many confusions. That is why your assistance is required. What is a more scientific term that is more appropriate?
Miyz

Miyz said:
When can a physical object "become" a viable source of energy?

When we find a way of extracting useful ernergy from it

There are some constraints on that, for example with a heat engine, we would need a temperature differential to exist between the object and the engine. For a fusion reaction it would need to be exothermic, and so forth.

*Has anyone ever listed all possible types of 'engine' mechanism?*

I don't mean petrol v diesel, i mean based on fundamental processes like heat transfer or gravitational potential.

Miyz said:
Im not confusing energy and force, fact is on is a scalar and the other is a vector, One is the whole (Energy), and one is a factor of the "whole"(Force). I don't mix them but I like to strip energy into a simpler image. If you have a family that consists of many individuals, and you'd like to research that family you'd prefer to strip each member a part and study them fairly don't you agree? In my analogy I showed how an energy source is useless by its own, only when a certain "factor" is applied to it, it changes the WHOLE outcome.

Please do not ignore the PF Rules that you had agreed to, especially our policy on speculative discussions.

You appear to be using a lot of familiar physics terminology, but in ways in which they are vaguely defined. Energy is "the whole"? Force is "a factor"?

Please note that in classical physics, these terms are extremely well defined, and you are not allowed to simply make things up as you go along. I strongly suggest you look up those definitions first before proceeding to make your own definitions.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Please do not ignore the PF Rules that you had agreed to, especially our policy on speculative discussions.

You appear to be using a lot of familiar physics terminology, but in ways in which they are vaguely defined. Energy is "the whole"? Force is "a factor"?

Please note that in classical physics, these terms are extremely well defined, and you are not allowed to simply make things up as you go along. I strongly suggest you look up those definitions first before proceeding to make your own definitions.

Zz.
Um, I failed in describing my analogy. I apologize for that, however, I do hope you all know that I'm not confusing both and I clearly know the definitions of both and their property very clearly.
I try to relate them to each other. However, I'd stay away from that point because it could lead me to violate the rules here...

Last edited:

1. What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is important because all living organisms and machines require energy to function and perform tasks.

2. How does everything have energy?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This means that all matter, including objects and organisms, contain energy in some form.

3. What are some examples of things that can be energy sources?

Some examples of energy sources include fossil fuels, nuclear power, wind, solar, hydroelectric power, and biomass.

4. How do we harness energy from different sources?

The method for harnessing energy depends on the specific source. For example, fossil fuels are burned to produce heat, which then turns water into steam to power turbines. Wind energy is captured by wind turbines and converted into electricity. Solar energy is captured by solar panels and converted into electricity through the photovoltaic effect.

5. What are the environmental impacts of using different energy sources?

The environmental impacts vary depending on the specific energy source. Fossil fuels contribute to air and water pollution, as well as climate change. Nuclear power produces radioactive waste. Renewable energy sources such as wind and solar have minimal environmental impacts but may require land use. It is important to carefully consider the environmental impacts of different energy sources when choosing which ones to use.