Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If I acclerate and observe a photon, do I see the spin of the photon changing?

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    Let's say we have identical spinning baseball balls. We catch the balls into baseball gloves. The gloves have different velocities. Some glove may approach the ball from the equator, while another glove approaches from the pole, I mean the pole and the equator of the ball. As the balls have identical angular momentums, each glove's angular momentum changes the same amount.

Now let's replace the balls with photons. Photon's spin direction is perpendicular to it's propagation direction. So when photon catcher changes it's propagation direction, does the photon catcher see the spins of photons changing?

(The subject line means that I am accelerating myself)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

Ger

Re: If I acclerate and observe a photon, do I see the spin of the phot

No, charge, magnetic and spin are invariant. The spin of a baseball, as in sample, is related to the mass of the baseball, so will be variant.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: If I acclerate and observe a photon, do I see the spin of the phot

No. Photon's spin direction is along it's propagation direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook