If I take an empty ordinary drinks bottle, place it in my mouth and

• Thread starter jamesd2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of reducing pressure in an empty drinks bottle by sucking on it. It is explained that this happens because the weight of the atmosphere crushes the bottle. The conversation then goes on to speculate about what would happen if this occurred in space, with the conclusion that the bottle would suck your lips into it due to the vacuum inside. It is also noted that on Earth's surface, the column of air above the bottle contributes to its deformation. The conversation ends with some playful banter about alcohol and a "Danger Special" drink mentioned in another post.
jamesd2008
If I take an empty ordinary drinks bottle, place it in my mouth and suck, the sides collapse in wards. Is this because I have reduced the pressure in the bottle and the weight of the atmosphere is crushing it?

Thanks in advance
James

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes.

Wow, ok thanks. Just trying to absorb this.

So if I was in space would this happen?

If you were in space and the bottle was uncapped, it would have a near-perfect vacuum inside. In such a case, it would suck your lips into the bottle and make you wish that you had remained on Earth. That is assuming that you could maintain your own atmosphere while doing so; otherwise, there would be no reaction. Your lips would freeze as soon as you stick them out of your helmet.

If an uncapped bottle is in space, there no air inside either inside or out. There is nothing to suck. If you try to use, say a bicycle pump, to suck the can, you'll just move the lever up without any resistance like you'd move a free rod. The can will not change shape.

On Earth's surface, there is a >100 000 feet column of air above the bottle that squeezes and deforms it when its air is sucked out.

Believe it or not, Doc, that was sort of what I was trying to say. I'm afraid that a modicum of alcohol got between my brain and my typing fingers. :redface:

Thanks everyone, that all makes sense :-)!

Yeah, where I live, the alcohol limit went down to like 0.05 recently. I guess that still hasn't made it to the forums.

(You got some of that stuff for me?...)

(Hmm... one of these days, I got to try that Danger Special Davec was talking about in another post...:tongue2:)

1. How does placing an empty drinks bottle in my mouth affect my health?

Placing an empty drinks bottle in your mouth may have negative effects on your health. The bottle may contain harmful chemicals that can leach into your mouth and potentially cause health issues. It is not recommended to put any non-food items in your mouth.

2. Can placing a drinks bottle in my mouth cause choking?

Yes, placing a drinks bottle in your mouth can increase the risk of choking. The bottle may get lodged in your throat and block your airway, making it difficult to breathe. It is important to be cautious when putting objects in your mouth.

3. Is it safe to put a drinks bottle in my mouth to clean it?

No, it is not safe to put a drinks bottle in your mouth to clean it. The bottle may contain bacteria or other harmful substances that can make you sick. It is best to clean your bottle using soap and water or a designated bottle brush.

4. Can placing a drinks bottle in my mouth cause damage to my teeth?

Yes, placing a drinks bottle in your mouth can potentially damage your teeth. The bottle may have sharp edges or be made of a hard material that can chip or break your teeth. It is important to be careful when putting objects in your mouth to avoid any dental injuries.

5. Why would someone want to put a drink bottle in their mouth?

Some people may put a drinks bottle in their mouth as a form of fidgeting or to relieve stress. However, this practice is not recommended as it can pose a risk to your health and potentially damage your teeth. There are many other safer ways to relieve stress or fidget, such as squeezing a stress ball or using a fidget spinner.