If in a lift we can tell if acceleration is due to g or to a push

In summary: This is the essence of the equivalence principle. In summary, the equivalence principle states that in a small enough region, it is impossible to tell the difference between an accelerating reference frame and a gravitational field. This principle applies to both Einstein's elevator and a rotating space station.
alba
does that affect the equivalence principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Alba.
alba said:
Yes you can :smile:.
Stephanus said:
Thank you very much
Okay...
The Earth radius from equator is 6378.1 km, let's call it r
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
or 6378.100m

This is what makes me irritated. I'm calculating 1.7 m against a 0.1 km rounding. But, I'll do it anyway...

##F = G \frac{M * \text{my weight} * kg }{r^2}##
##F = 9.80627 * N * \text{my weight}##
##a_{head} = 9.806264773##
##a_{feet} = 9.80627##
I don't know if my calculation is correct.
Thanks for the attentions.
You feet will feel 9.80627m/s acceleration on Earth and your head will feel 9.806264773m/s2
Because your head is farther from the centre of the gravity. But there's no such thing on elevator.

Okay, seriously. No!
That's the concept of Einstein Elevator. Light, everything works the same as on earth.
But not everything!
In Einstein Elevator the acceleration from your head and your feet is the same!
On Earth there's a very-very little different.
And I might add, your head is older than your feet, because your feet ages more slowly than your head.

But just ignore my number. See the answer of the staffs in my post.

Sincerely.

Stephanus said:
Hello, Alba.
Yes you can :smile:..
The whole post is based on the assumption that your feet-head axis is parallel to the radius of the source, which must no necessarily be the case.
But the point is not the a on your head or feet, the issue is that, whatever the difference, you can always tell when the F (or a) is coming from a push/pull i.e. on the inertial mass and not on the gravitational mass.

If Einstein knew that, what is the purpose of the example? More in general, how can our subjective perception or objective measurement of a phenomenon influes the actual state of the world?

alba said:
In a small enough region you cannot tell why you are in an accelerating frame. If the region is large enough that the non-uniform nature of the gravitational field is measurable that will give the game away, but the equivalence principle does not apply to such a large region.

Let's put it this way. Assume you are comparing someone in Einstein's elevator to someone in small room on a rotating space station. Both feel a "force" holding them to the floor. Careful experiment can show that conditions in the two are not exactly identical, however, this does not mean that, fundamentally, they are not the same( both are cases of acceleration). If we keep increasing the radius of the space station while maintaining the same g-force in the room, the conditions in the room become a closer and closer match to that in the elevator and it becomes harder and harder to tell them apart. They begin to converge. The same thing happens if you make the size of the elevator and room smaller and smaller.

The same is true for gravity and the elevator. As you make the elevator smaller and smaller, the differences become harder and harder to measure and they tend to converge. On a fundamental level, they are equivalent.

1. How can we determine if the acceleration in a lift is due to gravity or a push?

The easiest way to determine if the acceleration in a lift is due to gravity or a push is to observe the direction of the acceleration. If the lift is moving upwards, the acceleration is due to a push. If the lift is moving downwards, the acceleration is due to gravity.

2. Is there any other way to determine the cause of acceleration in a lift?

Yes, you can also use a device called an accelerometer to measure the acceleration. If the accelerometer shows a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s², then it is due to gravity. If the accelerometer shows a different value, then it is due to a push.

3. Why is it important to know if the acceleration in a lift is due to gravity or a push?

Knowing the cause of acceleration in a lift is important for understanding how the lift is functioning and for ensuring the safety of its passengers. If the acceleration is due to a malfunction or a push by someone, it could indicate a potential problem or danger.

4. Can the acceleration in a lift be due to both gravity and a push?

Yes, it is possible for the acceleration in a lift to be a combination of both gravity and a push. For example, if the lift is initially stationary and then someone pushes it upwards, the acceleration would be due to both gravity and the push.

5. Is there a difference in the acceleration experienced by passengers between a lift that is accelerating due to gravity and one that is accelerating due to a push?

Yes, there is a difference in the acceleration experienced by passengers in these two scenarios. When a lift accelerates due to gravity, the acceleration is constant and feels like weightlessness. However, when a lift accelerates due to a push, the acceleration may vary and feel more forceful or jerky.