If murdered, which fictional TV detective do you want on the case?

  • Thread starter Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
80 replies · 9K views
Vanadium 50 said:
So I'll go with Jim Rockford.
Woah, I had completely forgot about that tv series. I watched it a loooong time ago.
Nice to be reminded of it! :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Orodruin said:
View attachment 336473
He knows nothing, but he gets extremely lucky and I’ll have a laugh from above.
I don't recall every watching that, but he sounds a lot like Dirk Gently, holistic detective.
I would chose between Dirk and Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and pinball1970
Columbo for me and Bill voted for Frank Drubbin, Leslie Nielsen was in one Columbo episode.
Can you name it?
 
If I had to die, I would want my death to be weird enough for these folks to investigate.

eureka-syfy.jpg
 
Borg said:
If I had to die, I would want my death to be weird enough for these folks to investigate.

View attachment 336560
I give in, who are they?
 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
I give in, who are they?
Sheriff Carter and company from the TV series Eureka. Each episode would start off with some advanced tech gone wrong and the sheriff (who wasn't a scientist) would have to figure it out. When people died, it was usually unusual.
 
Borg said:
Sheriff Carter and company from the TV series Eureka. Each episode would start off with some advanced tech gone wrong and the sheriff (who wasn't a scientist) would have to figure it out. When people died, it was usually unusual.
Is it any good? I may give it a go.
 
The science is a mix concepts that range from things that probably aren't too far in the future (like talking houses) to highly improbable (like faster than light travel and time travel - maybe Q* or Google's Gemini will figure them out :wink: ). The show often has scientists and engineers who aren't thinking about the consequences of their creations and, when everything goes wrong, the bumbling sheriff has to figure out how to fix things in his own non-technical way. Pretty silly at times but it was fun.
 
Last edited:
You can Google it of course but that would be cheating. (Nielsen connection)
Columbo was another level in terms of writing, casting and acting.
 
it was "Lady in waiting" (I know you were on the edge of your seats waiting for the answer. He was also in "Identity Crisis" but I’ll quit while I’m ahead)

1701956737350.png
 
I loved this show, a great detective team.

1701957026640.png
 
These guys solved things but not really detectives. Great music though.

1701957171171.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and PeroK
PeroK said:
Alexandra Bastedo was my first love!
That is not surprising!

1701958525446.png
 
pinball1970 said:
I loved this show, a great detective team.

1701957026640-png.png
Of course! If you are deceased, it's only natural you'd seek the help of a deceased detective!
 
DrGreg said:
Of course! If you are deceased, it's only natural you'd seek the help of a deceased detective!
and his beautiful widow Jeannie, a great team.

1702041591069.png
 
Being a good TV detective is not just about having a beautiful woman in the team.

Notable mention, these guys, “The Sweeney”

John Thaw (on the left who played Regan) was a Manc and from Gorton where I grew up.

They did not always get their man but they always gave their best, broke the rules, clashed with higher management and still manage to party 1970s style.

1702042702749.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and DrGreg
This series was great too, set in Manchester in 1973 amazing music and plenty of tip of the hats to The Sweeney.

1702042972812.png
 
pinball1970 said:
I give in, who are they?
the Eureka gang
 
Bobthefreeradical said:
who dat?
'That' is Alexandra Bastedo
 
Last edited:
Talking of John Thaw, there is the brilliant Detective Chief Inspector Morse.

Inspector Morse was a detective with the Oxford City Police, known for his intellectual acumen, love of classical music, taste for the finer things, and his fondness for real ale. Morse often solved complex murder cases in and around the city of Oxford, assisted by his loyal and more down-to-earth colleague, Sergeant Lewis, played by Kevin Whately.

INSPECTOR_MORSE_5-6d3cedc.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, BillTre and pinball1970
Then there is inspector Jacques Clouseau. Though being a bumbling and inept police detective, he would end up successfully solving the case by sheer luck.

FjenWPgXEAIjF63.jpg
images.jpg
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, nuuskur, Astronuc and 3 others