If murdered, which fictional TV detective do you want on the case?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
If I had to die, I would want my death to be weird enough for these folks to investigate.

eureka-syfy.jpg

Likes DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
If I had to die, I would want my death to be weird enough for these folks to investigate.

View attachment 336560
I give in, who are they?

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
I give in, who are they?
Sheriff Carter and company from the TV series Eureka. Each episode would start off with some advanced tech gone wrong and the sheriff (who wasn't a scientist) would have to figure it out. When people died, it was usually unusual.

Likes pinball1970
Borg said:
Sheriff Carter and company from the TV series Eureka. Each episode would start off with some advanced tech gone wrong and the sheriff (who wasn't a scientist) would have to figure it out. When people died, it was usually unusual.
Is it any good? I may give it a go.

Likes Ibix
The science is a mix concepts that range from things that probably aren't too far in the future (like talking houses) to highly improbable (like faster than light travel and time travel - maybe Q* or Google's Gemini will figure them out :wink: ). The show often has scientists and engineers who aren't thinking about the consequences of their creations and, when everything goes wrong, the bumbling sheriff has to figure out how to fix things in his own non-technical way. Pretty silly at times but it was fun.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
You can Google it of course but that would be cheating. (Nielsen connection)
Columbo was another level in terms of writing, casting and acting.

pinball1970 said:
Is this guy really Columbo quality?
Apples and oranges... :wink:

it was "Lady in waiting" (I know you were on the edge of your seats waiting for the answer. He was also in "Identity Crisis" but I’ll quit while I’m ahead)

1701956737350.png

Likes PeroK
I loved this show, a great detective team.

1701957026640.png

These guys solved things but not really detectives. Great music though.

1701957171171.png

Likes Astronuc and PeroK
pinball1970 said:
These guys solved things but not really detectives. Great music though.

View attachment 336824
Alexandra Bastedo was my first love!

Likes Astronuc
PeroK said:
Alexandra Bastedo was my first love!
That is not surprising!

1701958525446.png

pinball1970 said:
I loved this show, a great detective team.

1701957026640-png.png
Of course! If you are deceased, it's only natural you'd seek the help of a deceased detective!

Likes pinball1970
DrGreg said:
Of course! If you are deceased, it's only natural you'd seek the help of a deceased detective!
and his beautiful widow Jeannie, a great team.

1702041591069.png

Being a good TV detective is not just about having a beautiful woman in the team.

Notable mention, these guys, “The Sweeney”

John Thaw (on the left who played Regan) was a Manc and from Gorton where I grew up.

They did not always get their man but they always gave their best, broke the rules, clashed with higher management and still manage to party 1970s style.

1702042702749.png

Likes Astronuc and DrGreg
This series was great too, set in Manchester in 1973 amazing music and plenty of tip of the hats to The Sweeney.

1702042972812.png

Likes DrGreg
Probably still go with Columbo...

pinball1970 said:
I give in, who are they?
the Eureka gang

Likes pinball1970
how about Detective Murdoch ?

Bobthefreeradical said:
who dat?
'That' is Alexandra Bastedo

Last edited:
Talking of John Thaw, there is the brilliant Detective Chief Inspector Morse.

Inspector Morse was a detective with the Oxford City Police, known for his intellectual acumen, love of classical music, taste for the finer things, and his fondness for real ale. Morse often solved complex murder cases in and around the city of Oxford, assisted by his loyal and more down-to-earth colleague, Sergeant Lewis, played by Kevin Whately.

INSPECTOR_MORSE_5-6d3cedc.jpg

Likes DennisN, BillTre and pinball1970
Then there is inspector Jacques Clouseau. Though being a bumbling and inept police detective, he would end up successfully solving the case by sheer luck.

FjenWPgXEAIjF63.jpg
images.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, nuuskur, Astronuc and 3 others
If you happen to be a cartoon that has been murdered, there is the remarkably similar looking inspector John Gadget. Though it would be his niece Penny and his dog brain who would actually solve the murder. Although, to be honest, I don't recall there being a multitude of murders in the programme.

inspector_gadget___gadget___penny_and_brain_by_niallnorwood66_depbrc4-fullview.jpg

julian said:
Then there is inspector Jacques Clouseau. Though being a bumbling and inept police detective, he would end up successfully solving the case by sheer luck.

View attachment 336913View attachment 336916
Although breaking a few priceless items in the process …

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, nuuskur, DrClaude and 3 others
julian said:
Talking of John Thaw, there is the brilliant Detective Chief Inspector Morse.

Inspector Morse was a detective with the Oxford City Police, known for his intellectual acumen, love of classical music, taste for the finer things, and his fondness for real ale. Morse often solved complex murder cases in and around the city of Oxford, assisted by his loyal and more down-to-earth colleague, Sergeant Lewis, played by Kevin Whately.

View attachment 336912
We've gone a bit British, midsummer murders next! I will check out USA "Murder she wrote" She was a little bit Columbo from memory, so if you did get murdered you need her on the case.
However, seeing as every event she attended was where the murder was, avoiding her like the plague would probably extend one's life.

Last edited:
Inspector Clouseau. If I'm following the case on the astral plane then I at least get some laughs out of it. And doesn't Clouseau always get his man?

Likes Astronuc
Sludge Hammer.

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing."

• Haha
Likes Astronuc
Vanadium 50 said:
<ring> "Hi, Jim, it's Jamie at the police impound. They picked up your car again. Lately, they've been driving it more than you have."

<ring> "That number four you just picked up from Angelo's Pizza? Some scouring powder fell in there. Don't eat it. Hey, I hope you try your phone machine before dinner."
Yes, I loved the phone messages at the start of The Rockford Files. My personal favorite:

<ring>"Hi, Jim, this is <forgot name> at <forgot name of bar>'s Bar. Some guy named Angel Martin ran up a $200 tab and said to bill it to you. Are you gonna pay it?"

Likes pinball1970 and collinsmark
PeroK said:
Sherlock Holmes often lets the criminal off. For example, from the Blue Carbuncle:
Captain Crocker from The Abbey Grange is an even better example, since his crime was homicide (though arguably in self-defense), whereas Ryder's was just theft.

Likes BillTre
PeterDonis said:
Yes, I loved the phone messages at the start of The Rockford Files

<ring>Mr. Rockford, Sue Ellen. Our class is that having crazy scavenger hunt I told you about. If you're wondering what happened to your trailer door, it's going to win me first prize!

PeterDonis said:
Some guy named Angel Martin
<ring>Jimmy, old buddy, buddy. It's Angel! You know they allow you one phone call? Well, this is it.

One of the most telling features of Rockford's personality was his loyalty, especially to Angel. Most of us would have taken the gun right out of the cookie jar and shot him. Of course, as we all know "the gun is for pointing, not shooting."

Likes collinsmark, BillTre, Astronuc and 1 other person
nsaspook said:
Sludge Hammer.

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing."

Konstnärliga illustration | Made in the 80s | Europosters