If photons have no mass,why would black holes attract light?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Murtuza Tipu
Messages
47
Reaction score
2
If photons have no mass, why would black holes attract light?
I was told that photons have no mass. However I thought that black holes are called "black" because no light can go escape the gravity force in their vicinity. I somehow think that, if light is just photons, then it should not be affected by gravity. Hence black holes could catch everything but light.

Do I miss something? Is light more than a bunch of photons? Or maybe black holes are not exactly what I think.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Murtuza Tipu said:
If photons have no mass, why would black holes attract light?

Mass is not necessary to be attracted. The trajectory is independent from mass (both in classical mechanics and relativity).
 
What makes a black hole to attract anybody ? Gravitational force and it depends on mass
 
Murtuza Tipu said:
If photons have no mass, why would black holes attract light?
I was told that photons have no mass. However I thought that black holes are called "black" because no light can go escape the gravity force in their vicinity. I somehow think that, if light is just photons, then it should not be affected by gravity. Hence black holes could catch everything but light.

Do I miss something? Is light more than a bunch of photons? Or maybe black holes are not exactly what I think.

What you missed is reading our Relativity FAQ on this entry:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-are-massless-photons-affected-by-gravity.511173/

This question has been asked many times and it is sufficiently addressed at the simplest level in that entry.

Zz.