If the object floats, the buoyant force will be equal to its

In summary: But note that was for a completely submerged body. A floating ball of styrofoam will not be completely submerged. What will the displaced volume correspond to in this case? In summary, when an object floats, the buoyant force is equal to its mass, specific gravity, density, or weight.
lucynemes86

Homework Statement

If an object floats, the buoyant force will be equal to its:

a. Mass c. Specific Gravity

b. Density d. Weight

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it weight?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean to float? What must be the net force on a floating object? What forces act on a floating object?

(Use those questions to describe the reasoning behind your answer.)

What are the units?

I got no units. Nothing. Just wondering when an object floats, is it because the buoyant force is equal to its mass, specific gravity, density or weight?

lucynemes86 said:
I got no units. Nothing. Just wondering when an object floats, is it because the buoyant force is equal to its mass, specific gravity, density or weight?
Well, which of those possible answers has the same units as buoyant force? (That's Bystander's tip!)

Doc Al said:
Well, which of those possible answers has the same units as buoyant force? (That's Bystander's tip!)

Weight? (Newton)

lucynemes86 said:
Weight? (Newton)
Right.

But it sounds like you need to learn more about buoyant force. This particular question can be answered without knowing anything (except units), since only one of the choices is even a force. But they won't all be like that.

Doc Al said:
Right.

But it sounds like you need to learn more about buoyant force. This particular question can be answered without knowing anything (except units), since only one of the choices is even a force. But they won't all be like that.
Thanks. I'm just new to physics. I had physics in high school over a decade ago but I don't remember much, even though I did well. I'm taking a class in college now (getting another degree) and I'm just having trouble with simple questions! :/

Doc Al said:
Right.

Also, a completely submerged body displaces a volume of liquid equal to its weight too, right?

lucynemes86 said:
Also, a completely submerged body displaces a volume of liquid equal to its weight too, right?
Are you asking if the weight of the liquid displaced equals the weight of the object? Not in general.

lucynemes86 said:
I think ByStander meant dimensionality, not units. If you know the units that will tell you the dimensionality, but not the other way around.
Force, mass, density all have different dimensionality. It only makes sense to add items or equate items of the same dimensionality.
Weight is a force.

Likes Doc Al
lucynemes86 said:
Think of a large Styrofoam beach ball. It would displace an amount of water that was quite heavy. Is the beach ball that heavy?

lucynemes86 said:
Only if the only other force acting on the body is gravity, i.e. it is floating with neutral buoyancy.
Otherwise, all you can say is that it displaces its own volume.
If it is tethered to the bottom then the buoyant force is also having to balance the tension in the tether.
If it is resting on the bottom then the buoyant force is assisted by the normal force.

phinds said:
Think of a large Styrofoam beach ball. It would displace an amount of water that was quite heavy. Is the beach ball that heavy?
Right, not quite heavy... So, it displaces a volume of liquid equal to its density or buoyant force? Maybe to its own volume?

haruspex said:
Only if the only other force acting on the body is gravity, i.e. it is floating with neutral buoyancy.
Otherwise, all you can say is that it displaces its own volume.
If it is tethered to the bottom then the buoyant force is also having to balance the tension in the tether.
If it is resting on the bottom then the buoyant force is assisted by the normal force.
Thank you!

lucynemes86 said:
Right, not quite heavy... So, it displaces a volume of liquid equal to its density or buoyant force? Maybe to its own volume?
Which one do you think? How could it be density? Do you understand the use of units in figuring out this kind of thing?

lucynemes86 said:
Thank you!
But note that was for a completely submerged body. A floating ball of styrofoam will not be completely submerged. What will the displaced volume correspond to in this case?
One of your answers in post #14 was sort of correct, that the weight of the water displaced is equal to the buoyant force, but that is true whether the object is floating, resting on the bottom, or tethered. In the specific case of a floating body, what other force is the buoyant force equal to?

phinds said:
Which one do you think? How could it be density? Do you understand the use of units in figuring out this kind of thing?
Volume. Sorry. I'm not a genius. Had physics over a decade ago and don't remember much.

lucynemes86 said:
Volume. Sorry. I'm not a genius. Had physics over a decade ago and don't remember much.
OK, well you didn't answer my question about units so let me be specific. NEVER give an answer to a physics question unless you are confident that you have the units right. That catches LOTS of the mistakes that we all make when we are starting out.

haruspex said:
But note that was for a completely submerged body. A floating ball of styrofoam will not be completely submerged. What will the displaced volume correspond to in this case?
One of your answers in post #14 was sort of correct, that the weight of the water displaced is equal to the buoyant force, but that is true whether the object is floating, resting on the bottom, or tethered. In the specific case of a floating body, what other force is the buoyant force equal to?
Thanks again...

In case of a floating object buoyant force equals weight right?

lucynemes86 said:
Right.

lucynemes86 said:
Thanks again...

Yes.

1. What is the meaning of "buoyant force"?

The buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object by a fluid, such as water, when the object is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How does an object float if the buoyant force is equal to its weight?

An object floats when the buoyant force acting on it is equal to its weight because the two forces are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the object will remain at rest or stay at a constant velocity.

3. Does the buoyant force always equal the weight of the object?

No, the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces, not the weight of the object itself. This means that the buoyant force can vary depending on the density of the fluid and the volume of the displaced fluid.

4. What factors affect the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the depth at which the object is submerged. It also depends on the shape and size of the object.

5. Can the buoyant force ever be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, in certain cases, the buoyant force can be greater than the weight of an object. This is possible when the object is fully submerged in a fluid with a higher density than the object itself. In this scenario, the buoyant force will be greater than the weight of the object, causing it to float to the surface.