Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If there were any other Freemasons

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1
    I was just curious if there were any other Freemasons on this forum!

I sure hope so! As lovers of the arts and sciences I'd almost expect to find a few of you!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2
    Re: Freemasonry?

So, are you guys as secretive as you used to be?

Didn't a book get published a decade or so ago, that exposed alot of your rites?

How do you guys feel about such ex-members?

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3

Our rituals have been exposed for years, but reading a book wouldn't give you information on how to get past a member who was suspicious of you. Even then, the books have been outdated and aren't very accurate anymore.

Rituals are different from country to country while keeping a central theme, so reading a book really won't get you far.

Ex-members...well...they are just that, ex-members who have left for various reasons. Can't fault them for it, its not for everyone.

5. Dec 31, 2008 #4

Thanks for the reply. My questions are sincere and are not meant to be goading.

Regarding your above statement, are there people who try to "get past" members, even today? What do you supposes their intentions are?

How far back do you guys trace your history? And how far back is verified by written record as opposed to oral tradition?

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5

I am a Freemason, and have an amateur interest in physics. I just finished reading "The Dancing Wu Li Masters" by Gary Zukav, and I found it to be very interesting. I have also read a few books on Einstein's life and work, and Sir Isaac Newton has been one of my "classical heroes" since I was in college in the 70's.

As for being a Freemason, I was raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason October 2, 1999. I am now very active in both the York Rite and Scottish Rite, as well as Past Master of two Lodges, and now secretary of one.

I see that you are from Detroit, Michigan. I am looking forward to visiting there someday. I went to college in Berrien Springs, MI, and never made it to Detroit. I would love to have a tour through the Detroit Masonic Temple. I have been all through the website a couple of times. What a great history!

If you ever make it down to Dallas, feel free to contact me and I will attend a Lodge meeting with you.

Well, Happy New Year to ALL!

Kindest Regards,

Harold Collum, P.M., Secretary
    Northern Star Lodge No. 377
    Dallas, Texas

7. Dec 31, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won an award from the Freemasons but I never learned the handshake. :biggrin:

- an award for a high school speech competition called the "Voice of America", or a similar name... Is that still around?

Btw, you won't find many Wu Li fans around here. That subject might cause some of our members to have fits.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. Dec 31, 2008 #7

Wu Li just means physics. It's that book that causes the fits.

9. Dec 31, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Good point.

10. Jan 1, 2009 #9

what would be the point of "getting past" a member? what is there to gain?

11. Jan 1, 2009 #10

Any truth to all the conspiracy theories surrounding the masons?

12. Jan 1, 2009 #11

Honestly, I'd imagine that there aren't any that try to get into Lodges just to see whats going on.

Types that have an honest interest in the ritual and our principles are the types who petition and are initiated.

Types who wish to condemn it are usually very lazy and will simply just regurgitate what they read on the internet. They really won't take the time to experience something they already hate through misinformation

We trace our history back around 500 years ago from speculative records (when I say that I mean minutes from Lodge meetings in Scotland).

Yes...its all true.

13. Jan 1, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How would you describe the purpose and function of the modern Freemasons?

14. Jan 1, 2009 #13

Woohoo another Detroiter! My son is a Mason and belongs to the old Detroit Lodge, which is a fantastic building.

15. Jan 1, 2009 #14

So you guys are plotting to take over the world then, cool.

16. Jan 1, 2009 #15

Freemasonry is different things to different people.

To me its an esoteric tradition that embeds moral code into symbols.

I think that in Europe things are different, they are much more secretive which is the way it used to be. We do charitable works, but traditionally we are a silent hand in the community that gives without taking any credit.

17. Jan 1, 2009 #16

RunSwimSurf

Gold Member

I've been a Master Mason since 2006. I've since left the area of my lodge and haven't been to any new lodges around here so I haven't been active in a while other than paying my dues.

Br. RunSwimSurf
    Anacapa Lodge No. 710 (CA)

18. Jan 1, 2009 #17

don't let the left hand see what the right hand is doing, eh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?