Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you could learn to play any musical instrument

1. Oct 30, 2014 #1

Dembadon

Gold Member

I hope to learn to play the piano someday. I love how it can fit into almost any genre of music, and I'm always moved by its fullness of sound and the variety of moods it can create all by itself.

Lacking any constraints (money, time, etc.), what musical instrument would you learn to play and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

The piano is a good choice, and digital pianos are now finally reaching a standard where they are a reasonable substitute. (I rehearsed the solo part of Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with my symphony orchestra last week using my Roland FP-7F digital piano, although I find its sound a little irritatingly muffled at times).

I mainly play the violin (also several other orchestral instruments), which means usually I need to play with other people to get the full effect of any music.

On all my musical instruments, I find it a bit frustrating that the biggest limitation on my playing is that as an amateur with limited free time I do not have the time and patience to develop the strength and speed to play better, so I often end up playing in rather a sketchy way not because I don't know all the notes but because I simply do not have the necessary strength. On special occasions (such as when playing a concerto) I have taken extra time and built up my speed and strength (which also means I can play other works better for a while), but it doesn't last for long unless I keep at it.

4. Oct 30, 2014 #3
    Yes, piano for sure. It's the most versatile. And, in our times, you can buy electronic keyboards that are inexpensive compare to real pianos, and much smaller hence portable.

5. Oct 30, 2014 #4
    My voice. If I could sing well, I'd do some musical theater.

6. Oct 30, 2014 #5

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I must admit that if I had the money and the time then in addition to my current instruments there are several other instruments that would interest me, including the harp.

Or, if you count the "symphony orchestra" as an instrument, I'd certainly like to do more conducting.

7. Oct 30, 2014 #6
    saxophone

8. Oct 30, 2014 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Guitar and electric organ/piano, but I'd also like to get (and learn to play) a Mellotron.

9. Oct 30, 2014 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bagpipes. I love the soulful sound. Still, I had some practice pipes a while back, and sometimes
    I would tell people I was going home to play with my bagpipes, people would smile, as if I was
    using a euphemism.

10. Oct 30, 2014 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I am just now learning to play the radio. :cool:

My hope is to, by this time next year, graduate to "remedial tape-deck".

11. Oct 30, 2014 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I've always wanted to learn how to play the drums but at my age I have no idea how I'd be able to get lessons without it being awkward.

12. Oct 30, 2014 #11
    f1ef5l.png

If only...

Seriously, I would like to learn piano and saxophone would be a lot of fun.

13. Oct 30, 2014 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Or breaking your arms? :p

Inasmuch as your profile photo is too dark to be seen, you seem to bear a disturbing resemblance to my niece. You don't happen to be a daffy Cree, do you?

14. Oct 30, 2014 #13

Dembadon

Gold Member

Yes, I've come to realize I'll probably never be able to play as well as I'd like, but I hope to reach a point that'll be pleasant to listen to and fun to play. :) I have a great deal of respect for violin players; seems like an extremely difficult instrument to learn.
    This is a close second on my list. I'd love to develop my voice as well.
    Most community colleges I've seen have courses geared towards beginners. However, you must also accept that learning any instrument is awkward for most people at first. :) After some time it will start feeling natural. Unless you meant awkward in some other respect (socially, culturally)?

15. Oct 30, 2014 #14

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

No I'm a dude haha.

Yeah as in there just seems to be a bit of a stigma against people who start learning an instrument from the ground up well past their childhood/very early teens. I would feel too self-conscious as a result whilst learning.

16. Oct 30, 2014 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Oops! Sorry. :oops:

In retrospect, I should have known because you seem to have less facial hair than she does.

17. Oct 31, 2014 #16
    Drums or cello, but today I'd probably choose cello, I really like the sound (I can play the piano and guitar).

It's hopefully only in your mind, dude! ;) I can of course only speak for myself, but I have great respect for anyone that tries to learn an instrument, regardless of age. I have tried to learn how to play drums, but I hadn't it quite "in me" and I realized it would take a lot of practice and time, time which I did not have at that moment.

EDIT: By the way, I started learning how to play the guitar at 20. A couple of years later, I was a guitar player in a band.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  18. Oct 31, 2014 #17
    There is another cool thing with piano, it comes with bonuses*; if you learn how to play it, it should be quite easy to learn how to play organs and synthesizers, at least in my experience (and Mellotrons too, I think, hehe).

Some Vsti mellotrons in the meantime, maybe? :):
    I have tried one or two of these, but I don't remember how they sound...

* EDIT: There's a bonus with guitars too. Switching from guitar to bass is not particularly hard IMO.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  19. Oct 31, 2014 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wish I could fiddle.

(There you go, Danger, a big fat fastball right over the plate...)

20. Oct 31, 2014 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Thank you, my darling, but I think that I'll just take a walk on it. Given my history here, any mention of rosining up my bow would probably get me banned again. :rolleyes:

21. Nov 1, 2014 #20

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The oboe. Why? Have a listen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook