Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you look a bit foreign, don't do math on a plane

1. May 7, 2016 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Clearly she came to a conclusion that just didn't add up.
    :doh:

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    I agree, this is too stupid to be made up :headbang:.

5. May 7, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Does economy really qualify as math?? :biggrin:

6. May 7, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The American paranoia isn't just famous, it's also increasing! Must be very unpleasant to fear everybody you meet around the clock.

7. May 7, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Microeconomics, hmm, perhaps not, but macroeconomics without math is simply empty. :wink:

8. May 7, 2016 #7

ogg

The female passenger is the one who should have been detained for raising the alarm without any valid rationale. Hopefully, she will be barred from any future air flight. If not, then ignorance wins. This seems to me to be EXACTLY an example of unreasonable and unjustified search and seizure. The fact that the airline took action with zero valid justification should be heavily sanctioned. Perhaps a $10 million dollar fine per incident, would do the trick. Oh, and make sure that any appeal be handled by an arbitration judge who is compensated with a % of the fine. Ignorance is not a valid excuse, even if the Washington Post abuses the dumb blonde (sexist) stereotype, again.

9. May 7, 2016 #8

russ_watters

I'm reasonably certain differential equations are a tool of evil.

10. May 7, 2016 #9

russ_watters

I'm not sure I agree. She's dumb, sure, but I'm not sure it is a good idea to strongly discourage people from speaking-up. Usually, there isn't enough of that.
    As far as I can tell, there were no searches or seizures involved here, but even if there had been a search, it wouldn't have been unreasonable: everything you have is subject to search on an airline flight.
    Disagree. The airline has a responsibility to the safety of its passengers and their bar for pro-active protection of safety is extremely high.

11. May 7, 2016 #10

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

It was at one point a joke going around on the internet: http://www.ms.uky.edu/~jrge/340/Weapons_of_Math_Instruction.html

12. May 7, 2016 #11

fresh_42

Uhmm, ...., you know that your avatar shows someone next to an instrument which is supposed to stare a the biggest differential equation we know of?

13. May 7, 2016 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do you think we spend so much time staring at it? Because it's evil!

14. May 7, 2016 #13
    You can put somebody's eye out with a compass! :oldeek:

As far as the terrorist, I'd be looking for dangling fuses hanging out of his shoes or Gatorade bottle. If he's just starting to mathematically work out the kinetics of his explosive device during the refreshment service on a 41 minute flight, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

15. May 7, 2016 #14
    300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

What does the scouter says about her education level? That she's lacking a little in the math department.

My math isn't awesome, but at least I recognize differential equations.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  16. May 7, 2016 #15

fresh_42

Happily it has been only mathematics and he wasn't dealing with radicals. Imagine a chemist dealing with (free!) radicals!

17. May 7, 2016 #16

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

18. May 8, 2016 #17

atyy

Science Advisor

Very educated woman :biggrin: Lots of maths is Arabic. Algebra is. Edmund Halley learnt Arabic.

19. May 8, 2016 #18
    This is utterly appalling. Racism at its best.

20. May 8, 2016 #19

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

So I take it that differential equations was not your favorite class in college? :wink:

21. May 8, 2016 #20

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Oh, dear. Where to begin?

As I understand from the article, the woman on the plane thought that the man sitting beside her on the plane was suspicious because (1) he had an accent, (2) he looked "Middle Eastern", and (3) he was scribbling something on a piece of paper.

First, since when does a foreign accent and looking "Middle Eastern" sufficient for the man being suspicious? The man wasn't even Middle Eastern, he is Italian!

Second, since when does writing on a piece of paper constitute a threat? Even if the man was writing something in Arabic script (which, btw, may not necessarily be Arabic -- it could be Farsi, Urdu, or any number of other languages), chances are that whatever he was writing was probably innocuous -- he could have been writing a letter to his mother! At any rate, how dangerous is someone with a pen, anyways?

Third, has this woman never taken math in school in her life? She may not know what a differential equation is, but she should know what an equation is, and should know that it's not a foreign script. After all, we write equations using the Latin alphabet, with occasional Greek letters!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted