If you plug a cord into an outlet and sparks fly while plugging it in

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary, sparks can be a fire and electrocution hazard, especially if they are large and frequent. They can occur when plugging in or unplugging devices and can be either lines of arc or shooting off the plug. The latter type of sparks are mostly harmless, but the former can be dangerous as they create a circuit of electricity. It is important to have an electrician replace outlets that spark when plugging in devices.
Simfish
Gold Member
Can you get electrocuted if you accidentally touch the sparks? Especially if the sparks are long? (i've had some disturbingly long sparks before)

And is it a fire hazard if the sparks hit something such as paper?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sparks while you plug IN or while you UNplug ?

... if an outlet sparks when you plug something into it, you should have an electrician replace it immediately. Yes, it is a fire and electrocution hazard.

russ_watters,

Can you elaborate? Often, when I plug in a charger, there is a small spark. But since the primary coil of the charger transformer is always drawing current, I would expect a spark when the gap between outlet and plug gets below a certain distance (call it 0.1 mm), corresponding to the breakdown voltage.

Or is that not what you mean?

Andy Resnick said:
russ_watters,

Can you elaborate? Often, when I plug in a charger, there is a small spark. But since the primary coil of the charger transformer is always drawing current, I would expect a spark when the gap between outlet and plug gets below a certain distance (call it 0.1 mm), corresponding to the breakdown voltage.

Or is that not what you mean?

This is what I was thinking the OP meant. When all of the lights are off in my house and there is only a tiny bit of ambient moonlight coming through my window and I plug in my computer, I can see a smal flash of blue light in the vicinity of the outlet. It's awesome.

These sparks, are they:
- lines of arc from plug to outlet?
or are they
- shooting off the plug like little arcs into open air (like a sparkler)?

If the former: yes, you could get electrocuted. That arc is a circuit of electricity.

If the latter, no, you will not get electrocuted. Those sparks are vapourizing microscopic bits of metal. They are mostly harmless. Yes they are hot enough to glow, but they are so tiny that they simply have a negligible amount of heat to transfer - usually not enough to heat up a piece of paper to ignite. They could even land on you and you might not feel it.

That being said, it is possible to have sparks big enough and often enough to actually "sting" you or set something on fire.

Saladsamurai said:
This is what I was thinking the OP meant. When all of the lights are off in my house and there is only a tiny bit of ambient moonlight coming through my window and I plug in my computer, I can see a smal flash of blue light in the vicinity of the outlet. It's awesome.
I've never seen that, but the OP used the words "disturbingly long"...what you describe doesn't sound "disturbingly long" to me.

1. What should I do if sparks fly when plugging in a cord?

If sparks fly when plugging in a cord, the first thing you should do is immediately unplug the cord from the outlet. This will prevent any potential danger or damage. Next, inspect the cord and outlet for any visible damage, such as frayed wires or burn marks. If there is damage, do not use the cord or outlet and consult a professional for repairs. If there is no visible damage, try plugging the cord into a different outlet to see if the problem persists. If it does, it is best to replace the cord or have the outlet inspected by a professional.

2. Can sparks when plugging in a cord be dangerous?

While sparks when plugging in a cord can be alarming, they are not always dangerous. In most cases, the sparks are caused by a small amount of electricity arcing between the prongs of the cord and the contacts in the outlet. However, if there is visible damage to the cord or outlet, or if the sparks are large or frequent, there may be a risk of fire or electric shock. It is important to always exercise caution and address any damage or issues with the cord or outlet.

3. Why do sparks fly when plugging in a cord?

Sparks can fly when plugging in a cord due to a variety of reasons. One common cause is static electricity, which can build up on the cord or outlet and discharge when the cord is inserted. Another cause could be a loose connection between the prongs of the cord and the outlet, which can result in arcing. Additionally, damaged cords or outlets can also cause sparks to fly when plugging in a cord.

4. How can I prevent sparks when plugging in a cord?

To prevent sparks when plugging in a cord, it is important to make sure that both the cord and outlet are in good condition. Check the cord for any visible damage, such as frayed wires or exposed conductors, and replace it if necessary. Similarly, inspect the outlet for any burn marks, loose contacts, or other damage. If the outlet is damaged, have it repaired by a professional. Additionally, you can try to reduce static electricity by wiping down the cord and outlet with a dryer sheet before plugging it in.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when plugging in a cord?

While sparks when plugging in a cord are usually harmless, it is always important to take safety precautions. Make sure to always unplug the cord before plugging it in, and never touch the prongs with your fingers. Additionally, do not plug in a cord if there is visible damage to the cord or outlet. If you are using an extension cord, make sure it is rated for the appropriate wattage and do not plug in more devices than the cord is designed for. Finally, always use caution and consult a professional if you are unsure about the safety of the cord or outlet.