If you think flying squirrels are cool

In summary, flying squirrels are a type of squirrel that possess a unique ability to glide through the air using skin flaps between their limbs. They are nocturnal creatures that primarily feed on nuts, fruits, and insects. Flying squirrels are found in various regions around the world and are known for their impressive acrobatic skills and cute appearance. While they may look similar to regular squirrels, their ability to glide makes them stand out and has captivated the interest of many people who find them cool and fascinating.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, heard of it, seen the vids. also saw a doc on a few days ago about base jumpers. seems they've got a fairly high death rate because they can never get enough. once something becomes routine, they've got to push the envelope just a little more to take a once relatively safe jump and make it adrenaline-producing again. so they start flying closer and closer to obstacles, until one day, an unexpected gust of wind sends them crashing into a cliff.

looks fun, but i like my crashes a little more controlled.

I think it is one of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas.

What a total wuss! Those guys used parachutes!

I’ve seen it before and each time I see it I think of trying one of them, the thrill would be great.

Chi Meson said:
What a total wuss! Those guys used parachutes!
What weenies!

My next-door neighbor in college talked me into technical rock climbing because he had a project to finish for the AMC (a climbing guide) and his climbing buddies had graduated. I have never been one for heights (unless I have good footing under me), so traversing cracks on a granite face was pretty *exciting* to say the least. Between getting dive-bombed by an overprotective mama hawk and trying to avoid the poison ivy, there was plenty of entertainment to distract me from the raw fear of being about 200-300 feet up on a near-vertical granite face. Les told me that the foliage was "Boston Ivy". I convinced him to chimney up a crack to get us home ASAP and bought some Fels Naphtha soap. The next morning, I wandered over to his place. His wife let me in and let me visit Les. All swollen up, eyes too see clearly, and in great distress.

the_corliss_resolution.png

What are flying squirrels?

Flying squirrels are small, nocturnal rodents that have the ability to glide through the air with flaps of skin between their front and back legs.

Where do flying squirrels live?

Flying squirrels can be found in North America, Europe, and Asia. They prefer to live in forests and woodlands with plenty of trees and vegetation.

What do flying squirrels eat?

Flying squirrels are omnivores and their diet consists of nuts, seeds, fruits, insects, and small birds or eggs. They are also known to occasionally eat fungi and tree sap.

How do flying squirrels fly?

Flying squirrels are not capable of true flight like birds or bats. They use their gliding membranes to catch air and glide from tree to tree, with the help of their bushy tails for stability and steering.

Are flying squirrels endangered?

Some species of flying squirrels are considered threatened or endangered due to habitat loss and fragmentation. However, other species are abundant and not currently at risk.