Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you think flying squirrels are cool

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2
    yeah, heard of it, seen the vids. also saw a doc on a few days ago about base jumpers. seems they've got a fairly high death rate because they can never get enough. once something becomes routine, they've got to push the envelope just a little more to take a once relatively safe jump and make it adrenaline-producing again. so they start flying closer and closer to obstacles, until one day, an unexpected gust of wind sends them crashing into a cliff.

looks fun, but i like my crashes a little more controlled.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    I think it is one of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas.

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What a total wuss! Those guys used parachutes!

6. Dec 5, 2011 #5
    I’ve seen it before and each time I see it I think of trying one of them, the thrill would be great.

7. Dec 5, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

What weenies!

8. Dec 5, 2011 #7

turbo

Gold Member

My next-door neighbor in college talked me into technical rock climbing because he had a project to finish for the AMC (a climbing guide) and his climbing buddies had graduated. I have never been one for heights (unless I have good footing under me), so traversing cracks on a granite face was pretty *exciting* to say the least. Between getting dive-bombed by an overprotective mama hawk and trying to avoid the poison ivy, there was plenty of entertainment to distract me from the raw fear of being about 200-300 feet up on a near-vertical granite face. Les told me that the foliage was "Boston Ivy". I convinced him to chimney up a crack to get us home ASAP and bought some Fels Naphtha soap. The next morning, I wandered over to his place. His wife let me in and let me visit Les. All swollen up, eyes too see clearly, and in great distress.

9. Dec 5, 2011 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook