Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Richard Feynman <3 on 'thinking'.

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2
    Woops, just realised this thread has been moved :P In my mind 'feynmans a quantum guy so i'll stick this in the quantum section.' Silly me.

So anyway, hmm...does this forum have a section where 'scientists' are discussed. Maybe that will be a good place to put it.

I'm sure some people do like to discuss the bio of Einstein, Penrose, Maxwell...and all those.

4. Jul 9, 2011 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The physics subforums, if you look at the existing topics in there, should contain only topics with actual physics content. All other discussion relating to ABOUT physics, physicists, history, sociology, philosophy, etc. do not being in those forums. Your thread has been moved to the General Discussion forum because this is where topics like that belong.

Zz.

5. Jul 9, 2011 #4
    Sure. I havn't looked around much.

6. Jul 9, 2011 #5
    Feynman had these things going for him: There was a lot of electronics in his house, so he knew the basics, and hands-on, from a young age.

He studied physics formally. He wasn't just reading his day's equivalent of New Scientist, or "A Brief History of Time", or making Tesla coils, or sticking gum-drops in the microwave, etc.

He had a good visual imagination.

He was good at math, and really worked at it.

He understood the fundamentals of parsimony. He could have had all the things above, and an IQ of 160, and still wound up a crank-theorist.

I think those were the essential (=must all be present) components of Feynman's achievements.

7. Jul 9, 2011 #6

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I first discovered Feynman around the beginning of last year. I had heard his name thrown around in places (Feynman diagrams, Parton model, etc.), but I began watching his lectures, and his interviews more and more and I was glad that I did. He definitely influenced my relationship with physics in a positive way. I wanted to meet him, but then I learned that he died over 20 years ago...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook