Richard Feynman <3 on 'thinking'.

• Thread starter Synapse
  • Start date

Synapse

Last edited by a moderator:

Synapse

Woops, just realised this thread has been moved :P In my mind 'feynmans a quantum guy so i'll stick this in the quantum section.' Silly me.

So anyway, hmm...does this forum have a section where 'scientists' are discussed. Maybe that will be a good place to put it.

I'm sure some people do like to discuss the bio of Einstein, Penrose, Maxwell...and all those.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
The physics subforums, if you look at the existing topics in there, should contain only topics with actual physics content. All other discussion relating to ABOUT physics, physicists, history, sociology, philosophy, etc. do not being in those forums. Your thread has been moved to the General Discussion forum because this is where topics like that belong.

Zz.

Synapse

The physics subforums, if you look at the existing topics in there, should contain only topics with actual physics content. All other discussion relating to ABOUT physics, physicists, history, sociology, philosophy, etc. do not being in those forums. Your thread has been moved to the General Discussion forum because this is where topics like that belong.

Zz.
Sure. I havn't looked around much.

At the beginning...WOW what a huge boost in confidence!

"You ask me if an ordinary person studying very hard would get to be able to imagine these things as I imgaine them? Of Course! I was an ordinary person who studied hard."

^.^

<3 im in loveeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8sVailoLw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHx00XG6-jU&feature=related

Hmm....you can't embed youtube videos on these forums?
Feynman had these things going for him: There was a lot of electronics in his house, so he knew the basics, and hands-on, from a young age.

He studied physics formally. He wasn't just reading his day's equivalent of New Scientist, or "A Brief History of Time", or making Tesla coils, or sticking gum-drops in the microwave, etc.

He had a good visual imagination.

He was good at math, and really worked at it.

He understood the fundamentals of parsimony. He could have had all the things above, and an IQ of 160, and still wound up a crank-theorist.

I think those were the essential (=must all be present) components of Feynman's achievements.

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member
I first discovered Feynman around the beginning of last year. I had heard his name thrown around in places (Feynman diagrams, Parton model, etc.), but I began watching his lectures, and his interviews more and more and I was glad that I did. He definitely influenced my relationship with physics in a positive way. I wanted to meet him, but then I learned that he died over 20 years ago...