• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses If you were me, how would you approach my future?

• Thread starter Tyler R
  • Start date
I currently have a job as a University Helpdesk / Jr. Network Engineer and it is very chill at 29 hours a week.

I have been in university for over 5 years now (switched major from IT to computer engineering) and I want to get my degree finished. I have saved up enough money to go to school full-time living off savings so I want to either leave my job or reduce my hours at work to 10-15 a week.

I plan on taking the following classes at once in the upcoming Fall Semester, but I would like some input on if I am overdoing it. I have a 3.5 Engineering GPA so I am not the best or worst student.

My schedule:
  • INTRO TO DISCRETE STRUCTURES
  • DIGITAL SYSTEMS
  • NETWORKS AND SYSTEMS
  • ENG ANALYSIS & COMPUTATION

What would you do if you were me? My job will work around my work schedule, but I feel as if I should be devoting all my time towards my education.

Thank you for any feedback.

Choppy

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Four courses is about 80% of a full time course load where I'm from, so balancing that with a 10 - 15 hours per week at a job sounds pretty reasonable assuming that you don't have any other major demands on your time.

If you're worried about the fact that all four courses seem to be STEM-natured, you're in a better position to figure out whether that will be an issue than we are. Some people thrive with that kind of focus. Others need at least one course that changes gears.

Joshy

Gold Member
Do what you can; do what works for you.

I think it's important to know a little more about yourself. I hate to admit this, but I could be taking only 1 or 2 classes and I would still get a B in that class. It's really difficult for me to achieve the very attractive scores and I knew it wouldn't be my competitive edge. I worked throughout most of my academic career. I enjoyed the hands on and going beyond the classroom, and it really worked out well for me despite my somewhat low GPA, but that's what worked for me. Most importantly: I feel confident with the material I learned and it really affirmed my interests.

Do you think the extra time will help you a lot?

Do what you can; do what works for you.

I think it's important to know a little more about yourself. I hate to admit this, but I could be taking only 1 or 2 classes and I would still get a B in that class. It's really difficult for me to achieve the very attractive scores and I knew it wouldn't be my competitive edge. I worked throughout most of my academic career. I enjoyed the hands on and going beyond the classroom, and it really worked out well for me despite my somewhat low GPA, but that's what worked for me. Most importantly: I feel confident with the material I learned and it really affirmed my interests.

Do you think the extra time will help you a lot?
Honestly? Very much so. I am dedicated to my schooling but I don't want to be made a fool if the classes wind up being too hard. I've struggled a lot in the past with academics but I just needed to try more. I think this extra time will give me the opportunity to focus on school which is what I feel like I need.

Four courses is about 80% of a full time course load where I'm from, so balancing that with a 10 - 15 hours per week at a job sounds pretty reasonable assuming that you don't have any other major demands on your time.

If you're worried about the fact that all four courses seem to be STEM-natured, you're in a better position to figure out whether that will be an issue than we are. Some people thrive with that kind of focus. Others need at least one course that changes gears.
I am quite worried about this. I have just completed my AA and am transferring to the University of Central Florida. As a transfer student, one C- puts you on academic probation within the first year.

I time myself when I study/do homework and I consistently needed to study 15-20 hours a week for each Electrical Networks 1 and Physics 2. I like to dedicate my days to either school OR work as I find it hard to focus on two major things in my life.

I have saved up enough to live for at least a year without a job, I have freelance work as a web designer for the local government, and I have a partner who will financially support me, but I just don't want to jump into the deep-end without asking everyone I can about their opinions and life experiences.

Thank you for your reply :) It is appreciated

Last edited: