If You Were Superman, Which Scientific Mysteries Would You Solve?

In summary, the conversation delves into the topic of using superpowers for scientific endeavors. The participants discuss various ideas such as exploring Europa, taking closeups of Saturn, ferrying supplies to build a telescope on the moon, and using powers to prove or disprove scientific theories. There is also mention of the challenges and implications of having superpowers, including the potential for breaking the laws of physics and the difficulties in controlling highly concentrated flatulence. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about having a partner who can adjust for any issues caused by superpowers.
mjacobsca
When I was younger, I used to imagine myself fighting bad guys and saving the world. I still do, to some extent. But now when I think about being a superhero, I think about time sharing my unique skillset to the academic and space community. I think I would fly to Europa and break through the ice shell to find out what is in the ocean first. Next I'd give all astrophotographers a treat by taking closeups of Saturn. And I'd probably help ferry supplies to make an amazing telescope on the other side of the moon.

Which scientific endeavors would you do first if you were a superhero, after beating the bad guys, of course? Would you examine the Earth's inner core? Fly to Titan? Put satellites around the Sun? Or help probe quantum matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could Superman prove or disprove the existence of the Higgs field, the Higgs boson, or the graviton? Any of those proof/disproof actions would be pretty monumental.

Last edited:
Superman ought to bend the laws of physics back into nice, Newtonian shape. :approve:

arildno said:
Superman ought to bend the laws of physics back into nice, Newtonian shape. :approve:
:rofl:

If I'm Superman, I think I'm of a lot more interest to the biologists than the astronomers! How do I breathe in space? From whence does my heat vision stem? How to explain the enormous power of my muscular tissue?

Given the billions of women in the world, I would probably not progress past checking out my X-ray vision.

(Oh, yeah... and the problem of trying to contain determined and immortal super-powered sperm... Merely thinking about a kryptonite condom causes me pain. :eek:)

Danger said:
Given the billions of women in the world, I would probably not progress past checking out my X-ray vision.

(Oh, yeah... and the problem of trying to contain determined and immortal super-powered sperm... Merely thinking about a kryptonite condom causes me pain. :eek:)
At such speeds, I would be more concerned about length contraction...

arildno said:
At such speeds, I would be more concerned about length contraction...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just when I thought that you couldn't become more clever... :biggrin:

Oh I would take the time barrier and travel back 12,700 years to see what was going on then.

I would try to discern whatthe real laws of physics are since I'm obviously breaking most of them as we currently know them.

daveb said:
I would try to discern whatthe real laws of physics are since I'm obviously breaking most of them as we currently know them.

Not necessarily. A lot of those "powers" can be explained by highly concentrated flatulence. The super power is merely the ability to mask the odour.

And Arildno, now that you've had your 15 seconds of fame... you are aware, I assume, that the Fitzgerald contraction also dictates that both circumference and mass increase in the same proportion that length decreases... :uhh:
This could go on for a very long time, but it's not suitable for posting on PF.

Danger said:
Not necessarily. A lot of those "powers" can be explained by highly concentrated flatulence. The super power is merely the ability to mask the odour.

And Arildno, now that you've had your 15 seconds of fame... you are aware, I assume, that the Fitzgerald contraction also dictates that both circumference and mass increase in the same proportion that length decreases... :uhh:
This could go on for a very long time, but it's not suitable for posting on PF.
Your partner would have the extra time to adjust for that, dear..

arildno said:
Your partner would have the extra time to adjust for that, dear..

Ahhh... that had escaped my notice. Good catch. :redface:

What are some scientific mysteries that Superman could solve?

Superman could potentially solve mysteries related to space and astrophysics, such as the origins of the universe and the nature of dark matter. He could also help uncover the mysteries of the human brain and consciousness, and possibly find a cure for diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

How could Superman use his abilities to advance scientific research?

Superman's super strength and speed could aid in the construction and maintenance of large scientific equipment, while his x-ray vision and hearing could help scientists gather data from hard-to-reach places. His ability to fly and survive in harsh environments could also allow for new discoveries in fields like archaeology and geology.

What impact could Superman have on the scientific community?

Superman's presence could inspire a new generation of scientists and encourage them to push the boundaries of what is possible. He could also use his platform and influence to promote scientific education and funding for research.

What ethical considerations would need to be addressed if Superman were to use his powers in scientific research?

There would need to be discussions about the potential consequences of using Superman's powers, such as the impact on the environment and society. Additionally, there may be concerns about the fairness and accessibility of any discoveries made solely by Superman's abilities.

How could Superman's involvement in scientific research be beneficial for the world?

Superman's involvement could lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in technology and medicine. His involvement could also bring attention and resources to important global issues, such as climate change and world hunger.