Which twin is younger in a spaceship race at 0.8c?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 5K views
JesseM said:
I don't actually understand the diagram that you drew...is it just meant to be a rotated version of this one that you posted earlier, or is it actually "skewed" in the sense that the angles between different lines wouldn't be the same as the wikipedia diagram?

I haven't read the rest of your reply yet (I'm running back and forth from my computer to wrapping paper) but to answer this question real quick: the former option is right. It's the same as that link, only rotated (it just seemed to be the easiest way to draw it, considering that my drawing tools consist of a pen, folded paper, and an old birthday card).
-DT
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, alright, the fact that mine was rotated and you referring to "vertical and horizontal" threw me off. That makes complete sense. Thanks again.
p.s. my diagram is only "skewed" relative to a "standard" diagram (the 2nd link you posted). The difference is I skewed t relative to t' and x' relative to x, whereas the first link you posted (the rotated version of mine) has t and t' skewed relative to t'' and x and x' skewed relative to x'' (where t'' and x'' the vertical/horizontal axes; the "standard" axes in C's reference frame).
 
Last edited: