Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If your model predicts Tachyons is that bad?

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    When I first learned about Tachyons I was lead to believe that they meant your model had anomalies and you needed to go back to the drawing board and come up with a new model. But lately I've been hearing that they are not all that bad. I wish I had some direct quotes but I don't. Are tachyons anathema in the physics community? Do they automatically rule your model out if your model predicts them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2
    They're very bad. Not as much the tachyons themselves, but the fact that a theory with tachyons predicts an unstable vacuum. This was the problem with the early bosonic string theories, which was resolved by including supersymmetry.

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What Mark said.
    Tachyons, and tachyonic fields are not exactly anathema - the math is kinda a mental exercise for theorists. But them showing up in a model that does not start out by presupposing them basically means the model is junk.

Presupposing them is basically saying you are deliberately making a junk model - but carefully. You may want to do this to expose possible flaws in the existing physics that may lead to new discoveries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook