1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Illustrate Hydrogen Bonding: Amino Acids

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following structures illustrate hydrogen bonding interactions between amino acid side chains and/or backbone atoms within a protein structure. In which of the following figures are the structures and hydrogen bonding completely correct?

2. Relevant equations
    Picture2.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, I know that structure 4 is wrong (does not involve hydrogen).
    A quick glance at my textbook shows that the amino acid with the configuration of -OH shown in structure 3 does not exist, eliminating 3.
    However, I am stuck at 1 & 2 as they seem both correct.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Which atoms have hydrogen capable of forming hydrogen bonds?

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    Ah.
    The electronegativity difference between sulphur and hydrogen seems to low to have a hydrogen bond.
    That would leave structure 1 (also nitrogen and hydrogen have an electronegativity difference that is high enough to create a H-bond).

Thank you,
    Ygggdrasil

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

A good rule of thumb is that only hydrogens bonded to fluorine, nitrogen, or hydrogen atoms are capable of participating in hydrogen bonds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook