1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen bonding between water and other molecules.

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have attached a solution to one of my homework questions that states "Draw hydrogen bonds that might be formed between a water molecule and the following compounds: a) H3PO4; b) PO43-; c) aniline; d) pyridine; e) ethylamine; f) ethyl ammonium ion; g) acetic acid."

My question is specifically for H3P04 and Acetic acid. Why is it that in H3PO4, the H on the OH makes the hydrogen bond with the O of a water molecule, but in acetic acid, the lone electron pair on the OH makes the hydrogen bond with the H of a water molecule.

Does it make a difference if I instead drew a hydrogen bond from the lone electron pair of the OH on H3PO4 and connected this to the H of water? Is it the same thing or is there a reason these are like this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

A Polarized Hydrogen atom makes Hydrogen bond with Polarized F, O, N and to some extent, Cl.

Water molecule will form Hydrogen Bonds from both Oxygen and Hydrogen atoms as the species you mentioned, Phosphoric Acid and Acetic Acid, have both polarized O and H atom.

But I feel that, in Acetic Acid, Water must form H-Bond from Doubly Bonded Oxygen atom and Acidic Hydrogen, as the O atom in C=O is more electronegative than O atom in C-O-H, hence having more electron density and tendency to attract partially positive H atom of water molecule.

If there are polarized H and F/O/N atom, you can draw H-Bond with both of them, which you should.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook