I'm already clueless about simple algebra word problems. Dreams = *POOF*

In summary: Yeah, but then I have trouble applying it to different types of word problems. I can't seem to manipulate numbers on my own.Can you explain how you try to solve a word problem that's different from the example problems?Can you explain how you try to solve a word problem that's different from the example problems?Well, usually I'll read over the problem, and maybe take a look at the answer to see how it's done, and then I'll try and come up with a solution that fits the given information. Sometimes I'll just guess and see if it works, and if it does I'll keep going with that solution.Well, usually I'll read over the problem, and maybe take a look
Raizy
I'll read the instructions, do the example problems, read over them, and then do the word problems:

*Stare at book for 40 mins*
*Blank face... hmm nothing comes up...*
*day dream*
*try to refocus, but no light bulbs at all*
*Take a nap*

Ughs, so much for that dream career. Grade 11 math, already struggling, so hopeless.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Go outside and sit down in a quiet part of your garden. Stay there for a while. Afterwards you will be focused.

The stare and hope method rarely works. Just start jotting something down, it could be anything, maybe rewrite the question, say it out loud, ask your teacher, or post it here.

Going there for help doesn't mean you copy the answers from your friend— you try and figure out the problem with the help of somebody else that already knows how to do it.

Raizy said:
I'll read the instructions, do the example problems, read over them, and then do the word problems:

*Stare at book for 40 mins*
*Blank face... hmm nothing comes up...*
*day dream*
*try to refocus, but no light bulbs at all*
*Take a nap*

Ughs, so much for that dream career. Grade 11 math, already struggling, so hopeless.

Are you reading it like a newspaper or reading it like a textbook?

Cyrus said:
Are you reading it like a newspaper or reading it like a textbook?
Is this a trick question?

Why would it be a trick question?

Raizy said:
Here's my problem though, if I just keep going there for help I'll never understand the problems for myself.

I think it only matters how many problems you solve.

For word problems, I can suggest to look:
1) what you want
2) what is given
3) what you know

But, it's just the practice that make you good.

Raizy, have you thoroughly understood all of the example problems?

lisab said:
Raizy, have you thoroughly understood all of the example problems?

Yeah, but then I have trouble applying it to different types of word problems. I can't seem to manipulate numbers on my own.

I.e. The examples would show me how to solve two types of word problems (I try to do them myself before looking at the steps), but then when I need to solve a word problem that's even just slightly different from the example questions, I get stuck.

What are algebraic word problems?

Algebraic word problems involve using mathematical equations and symbols to represent real-life situations and solve for unknown quantities. They typically require translating a written description into an algebraic expression or equation.

Why do some people struggle with algebraic word problems?

Algebraic word problems can be challenging because they require both mathematical and critical thinking skills. Many people struggle with understanding the language and concepts used in these problems, as well as knowing which equations to use and how to set them up.

What strategies can help with solving algebraic word problems?

Some strategies that can help with solving algebraic word problems include carefully reading the problem, identifying key information and unknown quantities, creating a diagram or table to represent the problem, and setting up and solving equations step-by-step.

How can I improve my skills in solving algebraic word problems?

Practicing regularly and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can greatly improve your skills in solving algebraic word problems. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using different strategies to solve them.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic word problems include misinterpreting the problem, using the wrong formula or equation, not checking your work, and forgetting to include units in your final answer. It's important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check your work to avoid these errors.