Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm already clueless about simple algebra word problems. Dreams = *POOF*

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    I'll read the instructions, do the example problems, read over them, and then do the word problems:

*Stare at book for 40 mins*
    *Blank face... hmm nothing comes up...*
    *day dream*
    *try to refocus, but no light bulbs at all*
    *Take a nap*

Ughs, so much for that dream career. Grade 11 math, already struggling, so hopeless.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2
  4. Jan 31, 2009 #3
    Go outside and sit down in a quiet part of your garden. Stay there for a while. Afterwards you will be focused.

5. Jan 31, 2009 #4
    The stare and hope method rarely works. Just start jotting something down, it could be anything, maybe rewrite the question, say it out loud, ask your teacher, or post it here.

6. Jan 31, 2009 #5
  7. Jan 31, 2009 #6

Mk

Going there for help doesn't mean you copy the answers from your friend— you try and figure out the problem with the help of somebody else that already knows how to do it.

8. Jan 31, 2009 #7
    Are you reading it like a newspaper or reading it like a textbook?

9. Jan 31, 2009 #8

Mk

Is this a trick question?

10. Jan 31, 2009 #9
    Why would it be a trick question?

11. Jan 31, 2009 #10
    I think it only matters how many problems you solve.

For word problems, I can suggest to look:
    1) what you want
    2) what is given
    3) what you know

But, it's just the practice that make you good.

12. Jan 31, 2009 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Raizy, have you thoroughly understood all of the example problems?

13. Feb 1, 2009 #12
    Yeah, but then I have trouble applying it to different types of word problems. I can't seem to manipulate numbers on my own.

I.e. The examples would show me how to solve two types of word problems (I try to do them myself before looking at the steps), but then when I need to solve a word problem that's even just slightly different from the example questions, I get stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?