I'm confused by this concept 2-d motion dumb question

In summary, the conversation discusses the landing spot of a ball fired straight up from a moving cart and a person jumping in a moving plane, and whether air resistance should be considered. The conclusion is that in both cases, the objects will land in the same spot due to the absence of horizontal motion relative to the air. However, the demonstration with the ball shows that air resistance can still have a small effect on the landing spot.
Austin Chang

Homework Statement

A cart that is rolling at constant velocity on a level table fires a ball straight up. When the ball comes back down, will it land in front of the launching tube, behind the launching tube, or directly in the tube? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why does it land right back into the cart. That is super counterintuitive for me. I feel like the only forces on it if we don't include air friction is gravity. Therefore shouldn't it land behind the cart?

Physics news on Phys.org
Austin Chang said:

Homework Statement

A cart that is rolling at constant velocity on a level table fires a ball straight up. When the ball comes back down, will it land in front of the launching tube, behind the launching tube, or directly in the tube? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why does it land right back into the cart. That is super counterintuitive for me. I feel like the only forces on it if we don't include air friction is gravity. Therefore shouldn't it land behind the cart?
Suppose you are standing in the aisle of an airplane that is moving at 600mph and you jump up a couple of feet in the air. Where do you think you would come down? Why?

Likes Bystander and billy_joule
phinds said:
Suppose you are standing in the aisle of an airplane that is moving at 600mph and you jump up a couple of feet in the air. Where do you think you would come down? Why?
In the same place. O this is without air friction right

The problem statement does not say if you should or shouldn't ignore air resistance. I would give answers for both cases.

In phinds' plane example, the air moves with the plane and there is no horizontal motion relative to the air to affect the landing spot when someone jumps straight up. In the demonstration below, there is horizontal motion relative to the air but the ball still lands in the cart. Therefore, air resistance can be safely ignored because the experiment says so.

Austin Chang said:
In the same place.
Right[/quote]O this is without air friction right[/QUOTE]well, do YOU think there is any air friction in that example?
kuruman said:
In phinds' plane example, the air moves with the plane and there is no horizontal motion relative to the air to affect the landing spot when someone jumps straight up. In the demonstration below, there is horizontal motion relative to the air but the ball still lands in the cart. Therefore, air resistance can be safely ignored because the experiment says so.
Well, no, THIS experiment actually does NOT show that. If you look carefully you'll see that the ball lands an inch or two behind the hole from which it was released. Since it is a light plastic ball, the obvious inference is that this is (unintentionally) a demonstration of how air resistance DOES make a difference in some cases. He should have used a steel ball bearing for a better demonstration since that would have been far less affected by air resistance.

Last edited:

What is 2-d motion?

2-d motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically represented by the x and y axes.

What are the key concepts of 2-d motion?

The key concepts of 2-d motion include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and projectile motion.

Why is understanding 2-d motion important?

Understanding 2-d motion is important because it helps us understand and predict the movement of objects in the real world, such as the trajectory of a ball being thrown or the path of a car driving on a curved road.

What are some practical applications of 2-d motion?

Some practical applications of 2-d motion include designing roller coasters, predicting the motion of satellites in space, and calculating the trajectory of a golf ball.

How can I improve my understanding of 2-d motion?

To improve your understanding of 2-d motion, you can practice solving problems and applying the key concepts, watch educational videos or attend lectures, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.