I'm going to public speak for the science & engineering club at four

In summary: I'm talking. If they laugh, great. If they don't laugh, I know I still delivered the material well.In summary, practice, practice, and practice some more!
Nano-Passion
I'm going to public speak for the science & engineering club at four today, I'm going to speak infront of professors and other undergraduates. I'm a little nervous, but everyone does before a speech of course. What do you guys do to have a smooth speech? I'm confident in my abilities but just thought I should create this thread anyways. This should also serve well for other memebers here.

One advice I've heard is to PRACTICE! This one is obvious, and I'm well prepared.

Another I've heard was instead of looking at people's gestures and bodylanguage, to look above their heads. This keeps you from focusing too much on others.

Any other thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

Personally, when I'm doing any presentation, I make sure to keep the listeners interested. I will always make sure to include little neat facts about what I'm talking about so the audience can get some trivial information to go along with the in depth information. I am very, very against not looking at people's body language and gestures during a talk. That's your direct feedback, why ignore it?

Can you imagine a comedian telling a bunch of bad jokes in a row and not reacting to the crowd's displeasure? Presentations are entertainment. I've done talks where I've had to change my approach during it to grab back the attention of the audience. Improvisation like that will only come with practice. Since the presentation is today I wouldn't make any changes but I would try to capture the moment of how the audience reacts to how you're presenting it.

It's pretty sad to say but most of the talks I've attended are downright boring because the speaker doesn't give a darn about how the audience is reacting. Lots of people think that the material is interesting and everyone will enjoy it from that alone. Bull. It's the speakers job to make it exciting.

Break a leg. :smile:

Nano-Passion said:
Another I've heard was instead of looking at people's gestures and bodylanguage, to look above their heads. This keeps you from focusing too much on others.

It's always a good idea to make eye contact with your audience. But concentrate on those who look interested, not those who are hiding at the back doing their emails!

Don't try to cram in too much information, and don't use too many visual aids. Putting one slide on the screen and talking around it for 5 or 10 minutes is better than putting up 10 or 20 sliides that nobody has time to read and understand, and if the audience is fully occupied trying to read your slides, they won't actually be listening to what you are saying.

The old adage "tell them what you are going to tell say, then say it, then tell them what you just said" has a lot of sense in it. Giving a "route map" at the start means people are more likely to keep hold of the big picture and not get lost in the details. The same goes for a summary at the end.

SophusLies said:
Personally, when I'm doing any presentation, I make sure to keep the listeners interested. I will always make sure to include little neat facts about what I'm talking about so the audience can get some trivial information to go along with the in depth information. I am very, very against not looking at people's body language and gestures during a talk. That's your direct feedback, why ignore it?

Can you imagine a comedian telling a bunch of bad jokes in a row and not reacting to the crowd's displeasure? Presentations are entertainment. I've done talks where I've had to change my approach during it to grab back the attention of the audience. Improvisation like that will only come with practice. Since the presentation is today I wouldn't make any changes but I would try to capture the moment of how the audience reacts to how you're presenting it.

It's pretty sad to say but most of the talks I've attended are downright boring because the speaker doesn't give a darn about how the audience is reacting. Lots of people think that the material is interesting and everyone will enjoy it from that alone. Bull. It's the speakers job to make it exciting.

Break a leg. :smile:

I knew someone was going to say that. :biggrin:

I know its feedback, what I meant was towards subduing your nervousness, if you feel confident then go right ahead and look right into their eyes! Nothing more powerful than a stare. For me, I ended up looking at their eyes anyways. I know its feedback, and I know how important it is. But sometimes it doesn't help.

For example, when I made a (planned) joke in the beginning, that nobody laughed to, that made me nervous. What I usually do is pick a couple particularly interested people and keep my eyes at them more.

And yes I ABSOLUTELY agree, its the speaker's job to make it exciting! I always try to push passion through my words and tone, its what makes it that much more interesting. Nobody wants to listen to someone who sounds bored.

AlephZero said:
It's always a good idea to make eye contact with your audience. But concentrate on those who look interested, not those who are hiding at the back doing their emails!

Don't try to cram in too much information, and don't use too many visual aids. Putting one slide on the screen and talking around it for 5 or 10 minutes is better than putting up 10 or 20 slides that nobody has time to read and understand, and if the audience is fully occupied trying to read your slides, they won't actually be listening to what you are saying.

The old adage "tell them what you are going to tell say, then say it, then tell them what you just said" has a lot of sense in it. Giving a "route map" at the start means people are more likely to keep hold of the big picture and not get lost in the details. The same goes for a summary at the end.

Oh yes I agree, in fact my power point had no words. Just pictures and the rest from my brain. :)

physiker_192 said:

Thanks I read it, most of it I pretty much knew. Some of it though is valuable information.

By the way, a friend recorded my speech, would anyone like to see it? Possibly critique? Its very short, 4-5 minutes only because I was told to keep it very short. I can upload it on youtube if I get a yes. :smile:

Last edited:

Nano-Passion said:
By the way, a friend recorded my speech, would anyone like to see it? Possibly critique? Its very short, 4-5 minutes only because I was told to keep it very short. I can upload it on youtube if I get a yes. :smile:

Sure, why not??

For a presentation, you should have a clear and nice color theme. Make sure that it doesn't hurt the eyes of the viewers.
I have got a nice tutorial whenever you want to highlight the points. You can check out the tutorial here. Its animations are easy to understand. :)
http://www.pptheaven.mvps.org/tutorials/FadeToTranslucent.html

Frankly speaking, whenever i get a school project of making presentations, at the place of making presentation, i make it a motion graphic project but that costs a heck lot of time on PowerPoint. :biggrin:

Pranav-Arora said:
For a presentation, you should have a clear and nice color theme. Make sure that it doesn't hurt the eyes of the viewers.
I have got a nice tutorial whenever you want to highlight the points. You can check out the tutorial here. Its animations are easy to understand. :)
http://www.pptheaven.mvps.org/tutorials/FadeToTranslucent.html

Frankly speaking, whenever i get a school project of making presentations, at the place of making presentation, i make it a motion graphic project but that costs a heck lot of time on PowerPoint. :biggrin:

I don't know if the video by you was under the name "omega..." but I'm very impressed! And the whole concept of animating with a slideshow on powerpoint is rather creative too!
micromass said:
Sure, why not??

Okay, will do. :) Just waiting for my friend (he has the video), I would hope I can get it uploaded by tomorrow.

Nano-Passion said:
I don't know if the video by you was under the name "omega..." but I'm very impressed! And the whole concept of animating with a slideshow on powerpoint is rather creative too!

None of the PPT is by me. (That's not a video, that's complete PowerPoint. All animation work is completely done in PowerPoint.) When i said that they are by me. :confused:
I too love omegaoma motion ppt. That PPT is by a user on Korea PowerPoint Expert Club but that ppt is many years old. :)

Pranav-Arora said:
None of the PPT is by me. (That's not a video, that's complete PowerPoint. All animation work is completely done in PowerPoint.) When i said that they are by me. :confused:
I too love omegaoma motion ppt. That PPT is by a user on Korea PowerPoint Expert Club but that ppt is many years old. :)
Oops, I thought the video was from you because that particular video was talking about setting up tutorials and the like. But never mind.

Anyhow, by my definition, a video is an animation of frames. Its just your everyday video is just a whoole lot more frames so it looks smooth and continuous (its really not, and you would notice if you can slow it down enough). Which is why I called it a video.

Nano-Passion said:
Oops, I thought the video was from you because that particular video was talking about setting up tutorials and the like. But never mind.

Anyhow, by my definition, a video is an animation of frames. Its just your everyday video is just a whoole lot more frames so it looks smooth and continuous (its really not, and you would notice if you can slow it down enough). Which is why I called it a video.

I think you watched out the PPTHeaven youtube channel where you saw the omegaoma motion. That's why you are terming it as a "VIDEO". :)
And there are many great works on the website. Be sure to check them, you may get some inspiration. :)

1. How do I prepare for a public speaking event?

To prepare for a public speaking event, it is important to research and understand your topic thoroughly. Make sure to organize your thoughts and create a clear outline for your presentation. Practice your delivery and anticipate potential questions from the audience.

2. What should I wear for a science and engineering club presentation?

It is recommended to dress professionally for a science and engineering club presentation. This could include business casual attire or a lab coat depending on the formality of the event. Avoid wearing anything too distracting or casual.

3. How do I keep the audience engaged during my presentation?

To keep the audience engaged during a presentation, make sure to vary your tone and use visual aids such as slides or demonstrations. Encourage audience participation through questions or activities. Use storytelling techniques to make your presentation more relatable and interesting.

4. What if I make a mistake during my presentation?

Mistakes are bound to happen during a presentation, but it is important to remain calm and composed. Apologize for the mistake and continue with your presentation. If necessary, you can pause and take a moment to collect your thoughts before continuing.

5. How can I improve my public speaking skills for future presentations?

The key to improving your public speaking skills is practice. Take every opportunity to speak in front of an audience, whether it be at a club meeting or a class presentation. Seek feedback from others and make adjustments as necessary. Consider joining a public speaking club or taking a course to further develop your skills.