I'm having trouble trying to solve this particular problem.

• Thread starter biggie1
  • Start date
In summary, a car travels north for three-fourths of the time and south for one-fourth of the time with average velocities of 13 m/s and 11 m/s, respectively. To find the average velocity for the entire trip, the magnitude and direction must be calculated. Using the same logic as a person walking forward and backward, the average velocity is close to 12 m/s with a northward direction. This can be found by using simple algebra and trying different values for time.
biggie1

Homework Statement

A car makes a trip due north for three-fourths of the time and due south one-fourth of the time. The average northward velocity has a magnitude of 13 m/s, and the average southward velocity has a magnitude of 11 m/s. What is the average velocity (magnitude and direction) for the entire trip?

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

12m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
If I walk forward 2 miles in half an hour, and then walk backwards 1 mile in half an hour, how far have I walked forward and how long did it take me?

1 mile and 1 hour

murrdpirate0 said:
If I walk forward 2 miles in half an hour, and then walk backwards 1 mile in half an hour, how far have I walked forward and how long did it take me?

1 mile and 1 hour

So your average velocity is one miler per hour in the forward direction, right? Use that same logic for your problem. Your average speed is close to 12 m/s (actually 12.5, since you were going 13 m/s for a longer time than you were going 11 m/s), but your average velocity has a direction associated with it. You were going 12.5 m/s on average, but you weren't going that fast north.

okay I understand its northward, but the part I don't get is what formula to use?

You basically just need to do the same simple algebra we did in my example. The only difference is that I gave you distances and time instead of velocity. It's a lot easier than you think. Try a few samples using different values of time and see what you get.

1. How do I approach solving a difficult problem as a scientist?

As a scientist, the first step in solving a difficult problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you focus on one aspect at a time and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed. Additionally, it's important to gather as much information as possible about the problem and its context before trying to solve it.

2. What are some common strategies for problem-solving as a scientist?

Some common strategies for problem-solving as a scientist include using the scientific method, asking questions and formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. It's also helpful to collaborate with other scientists and seek feedback from peers.

3. How do I stay motivated when facing a challenging problem as a scientist?

Staying motivated when facing a challenging problem as a scientist can be difficult, but it's important to remember the potential impact of solving the problem. Remind yourself of the bigger picture and why your research is important. It can also be helpful to take breaks, seek support from colleagues, and try different approaches to the problem.

4. What should I do if I'm stuck and can't seem to find a solution to my problem as a scientist?

If you're stuck and can't seem to find a solution to a problem as a scientist, it's important to step back and take a break. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you see the problem in a new light. You can also try talking through the problem with a colleague or seeking advice from a mentor. It's also helpful to revisit the problem with a clear and open mind.

5. How do I handle failure when trying to solve a problem as a scientist?

Failure is a natural part of the scientific process and can actually lead to new discoveries. It's important to not get discouraged and instead use failures as learning opportunities. Reflect on what went wrong and try again with a different approach. Remember that even the most successful scientists have faced failure in their careers.