Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I'm having trouble trying to solve this particular problem.

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car makes a trip due north for three-fourths of the time and due south one-fourth of the time. The average northward velocity has a magnitude of 13 m/s, and the average southward velocity has a magnitude of 11 m/s. What is the average velocity (magnitude and direction) for the entire trip?

2. Relevant equations
    not sure

3. The attempt at a solution

12m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    If I walk forward 2 miles in half an hour, and then walk backwards 1 mile in half an hour, how far have I walked forward and how long did it take me?

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3
    1 mile and 1 hour

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4
    1 mile and 1 hour

6. Jan 28, 2010 #5
    So your average velocity is one miler per hour in the forward direction, right? Use that same logic for your problem. Your average speed is close to 12 m/s (actually 12.5, since you were going 13 m/s for a longer time than you were going 11 m/s), but your average velocity has a direction associated with it. You were going 12.5 m/s on average, but you weren't going that fast north.

7. Jan 28, 2010 #6
    okay I understand its northward, but the part I don't get is what formula to use?

8. Jan 28, 2010 #7
    You basically just need to do the same simple algebra we did in my example. The only difference is that I gave you distances and time instead of velocity. It's a lot easier than you think. Try a few samples using different values of time and see what you get.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook