1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm having trouble with horizontal line problems and I'd love some help

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

During an Apollo moon landing, reflecting panels were placed on the moon. *This allowed earth-based astronomers to shoot laser beams at the moon's surface to determine its distance. *The reflected laser beam was observed 2.52 s after the laser pulse was sent. *What was the distance between the astronomers and the moon?

2. Relevant equations
    D=rt

3. The attempt at a solution
    How do you find the rate with just time??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2
    Well you are given time, which is equal to 2.52 seconds. The distance is what you are trying to figure out, and I assume that "r" represents the speed of light? So "r" is a constant which you should be able to look up in your textbook if you do not know it.

Then you just fill in what you know to get D, and remember, the laser is going to the moon and back, so it is travelling twice the distance from just the astronomer to the moon.

Cheers

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook