I'm in a talent show tomorrow. Show me a cool math proof.

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses different proofs and asks for a cool and understandable one to share with an ordinary audience. The Monty Hall Problem is suggested as a possibility but its setup may be difficult to explain. Another suggestion is a Diophantine equation, which is not commonly taught and may surprise even advanced audience members. The conversation also touches on the idea of reproducing proofs for a talent show and suggests entertaining the audience with non-proofs of true theorems, such as the "long division" method for remainder of a polynomial division.
Jamin2112
I thought about doing a proof of the Pythagorean Theorem, a proof that the harmonic series is unbounded, a proof that e^π > π^e, a proof that e^(b*i) = cos(b) + i*sin(b), a proof that √2 is irrational, but honestly, none of those are cool enough.

Please show me a cool proof that an ordinary audience could understand.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maybe a proof of Euclid's theorem of the infinitude of primes, or a proof of Euler's identity..?

Monty Hall Problem - its not intuitive and a lot of people (even including statisticians) can doubt the results even due to its counter intuitiveness

chiro said:
Monty Hall Problem - its not intuitive and a lot of people (even including statisticians) can doubt the results even due to its counter intuitiveness

hmmmm ... the only problem with the Monty Hall Problem is that the setup is hard to explain. You have to explain to rules of the game 4 or 5 times before the audience understands how it works.

Jamin2112 said:
hmmmm ... the only problem with the Monty Hall Problem is that the setup is hard to explain. You have to explain to rules of the game 4 or 5 times before the audience understands how it works.

What kind of audience are you speaking to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dickfore said:

that is really pretty cool

Last edited by a moderator:
describe 4 dimensional spheres?

mathwonk said:
describe 4 dimensional spheres?

no u

A simple Diophantine equation? a^b=b^a is fun, and pretty easy to understand. It also has the attribute of not being part of any curriculum, so even the advanced audience members won't know the answer until you prove it. (unless they are fast)

TylerH said:
A simple Diophantine equation? a^b=b^a is fun, and pretty easy to understand. It also has the attribute of not being part of any curriculum, so even the advanced audience members won't know the answer until you prove it. (unless they are fast)

is there someway to solve this algorithmically? without just seeing that it's 2 and 4?

How does reproducing a proof given by someone on this forum show that you have talent? I mean, doesn't this defeat the purpose of a talent show?

Landau said:
How does reproducing a proof given by someone on this forum show that you have talent? I mean, doesn't this defeat the purpose of a talent show?

> Implying that talent and originality are the same thing.

You could entertain them with non-proofs of true theorems. One of my favorites is the "long division" method proving the remainder of a polynomial p(x) upon division by (x - a ) is p(a)

Proof
Code:
         p

p(a)

1. How can math be incorporated into a talent show performance?

Math can be incorporated into a talent show performance through the use of visual aids, such as props or a slideshow, to demonstrate a math concept or proof. It can also be incorporated through a spoken or musical performance that incorporates mathematical patterns or concepts.

2. Can you give an example of a cool math proof that can be shown in a talent show?

One example of a cool math proof that can be shown in a talent show is the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be demonstrated through a visual aid or a spoken explanation accompanied by a musical performance.

3. How can a math proof be made entertaining for a talent show audience?

A math proof can be made entertaining by incorporating humor, audience participation, or a creative and engaging presentation style. It can also be accompanied by a visually appealing performance, such as a dance or a magic trick, that demonstrates the proof.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to perform a math proof in a talent show?

Having a strong math background may be helpful, but it is not necessary to perform a math proof in a talent show. With some research and practice, anyone can learn and present a cool math proof in an engaging and entertaining manner.

5. Are there any resources available for finding cool math proofs for a talent show?

Yes, there are many online resources available for finding cool math proofs, such as websites, books, and videos. Additionally, consulting with a math teacher or tutor can also provide ideas and guidance for incorporating math into a talent show performance.