I'm interested in physics, what should I learn?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Bedfordshire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Finish whichever one you're more comfortable with.Both are good choices. :)However, I want to finish my Griffiths...
Bedfordshire
Let me Introduced myself at first,
I'm a high school student in Hong Kong. I've finished all I need to learn in high school.
Also, I have lots of time to read books.
My school teacher distributes me an empty classroom so that I can do my things there when I come to school.

I'm interested in physics, but I don't really know about physics.
For math, I know some calculus and linear algebra.
And I'm reading Classical Mechanics, Goldstein.
I've finished chapter1-6 and I did every exercise on it, also understanding each solution.
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.
I want some guidance to help me start learning undergraduate physics.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're already making a very good start. I'm sure you'll get some further answers from some of the other members here. Welcome aboard the Physics Forums.

Yow, you are way ahead in your studies, good work!
You say you don’t know Physics, but a good understanding of Mechanics requires an in depth knowledge of Physics. Goldstein’s book in fact is an advanced version of Mechanics for undergrads.
At a University for Physics or Engineering, you start off taking calculus based or algebra based introductory Physics (take the calc based version) studying forces, motion, energy, etc., including basic Mechanics, then proceed to electricity, magnetism , waves optics, and modern physics if you so choose. Mechanics (statics and dynamics) usually isn’t taken until your 2nd year. Stuff like Lagrangian and Hamiltonian is rather advanced. I don’t know how you are getting a good understanding of Mechanics without first studying basic Physics and Calculus!
You might want to consider Engineering study instead of Physics, unless you are really into the advanced topics of Physics like Quantum Mechanics, Astrophysics, Cosmology, Nuclear, etc.
Best of luck, I commend you for your efforts!

Likes PeroK and sysprog
Bedfordshire said:
Let me Introduced myself at first,
I'm a high school student in Hong Kong. I've finished all I need to learn in high school.
Also, I have lots of time to read books.
My school teacher distributes me an empty classroom so that I can do my things there when I come to school.

For math, I know some calculus and linear algebra.
I've finished chapter1-6 and I did every exercise on it, also understanding each solution.
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.
I want some guidance to help me start learning undergraduate physics.
Did you do the exercises on your own, without referring to any outside help or looking at solutions? Or did you look at solution and replicated it?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Bedfordshire said:
Congrats on your interest in science, and your great start on your studies. In addition to studying various textbooks, I'd recommend reading some interesting non-fiction books about and by famous scientists, to help motivate your studies and interests. You may also find that you are more interested in some areas of science than others, based on some of this reading. Here are a few books that I really enjoyed (for various reasons)...

Likes sysprog and PhanthomJay
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Congrats on your interest in science, and your great start on your studies. In addition to studying various textbooks, I'd recommend reading some interesting non-fiction books about and by famous scientists, to help motivate your studies and interests. You may also find that you are more interested in some areas of science than others, based on some of this reading. Here are a few books that I really enjoyed (for various reasons)...

Thanks for your reply!
I will try to read some popular-science books later.

Likes berkeman
Likes Bedfordshire
sysprog said:
I think that Prof. Powers' thermo notes are well worth reading.
https://www3.nd.edu/~powers/ame.20231/notes.pdf
Thanks for sharing.
I haven't finished a full lecture note on thermodynamics yet.
I'm reading Griffiths's Introduction to electrodynamics in recent:biggrin:

Likes sysprog
Bedfordshire said:
Bedfordshire said:
I'm reading Griffiths's Introduction to electrodynamics in recent:biggrin:
If you're using Goldstein for classical mechanics, you should be using Jackson instead of Griffiths for electromagnetism. :cool:

In the US, Goldstein and Jackson are common graduate-school textbooks, i.e. MS/PhD level, whereas Griffiths is merely undergraduate-level.

Likes Bedfordshire and sysprog
jtbell said:
If you're using Goldstein for classical mechanics, you should be using Jackson instead of Griffiths for electromagnetism. :cool:
I had heard this famous textbook on electrodynamics before!

You said that if I'm able to finish Goldstein, then I'm able to read Jackson too?

However, I want to finish my Griffiths first!

Get a standard first-year physics book and start learning physics. It's as simple as that.

Likes Bedfordshire and sysprog

What is physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

What are the basic concepts of physics?

Some of the basic concepts of physics include motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, and thermodynamics. These concepts are used to explain and understand the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world.

What math skills do I need to learn for physics?

A strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is essential for understanding physics. Calculus is also important for more advanced topics in physics such as mechanics and electromagnetism.

What are some important topics to study in physics?

Some important topics in physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. These topics cover a wide range of phenomena and principles that are essential for understanding the physical world.

How can I apply physics in real life?

Physics has a wide range of practical applications in everyday life, such as in engineering, medicine, and technology. It can also help us understand natural phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the behavior of light, and the properties of matter.