Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm looking for some cold propulsion possibilities

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    I am coming up with a new wing suit that combines soaring with jet pack propulsion in such a way that even valley dwellers can fly, and possibly commute in this fassion. I fear compressed gas alone will not have enough thrust for long enough.
    One concept to think of is to charge a liquid/gas substance negatively, and have the repulsion of the electrons become propulsion for the aircraft (person), but how can that charge be contained without shocking the container....?
    I am hesitant to try heat based propulsion because there will be no heat protection.
    Help would be much appreciated ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

K41

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    @#2 yes! Thank you!

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4
    The thrust of an ion thruster is, I believe at the current state of the technology, far far too low for low altitude sustained flight for a payload of 200 lbs.

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Compressed gas would require a thick-walled (relatively speaking) storage tank, which would defeat the purpose of propulsion.

It is impractical to storage charge.

Ion thrusters produce low thrust.

One must look at thrust to weight/mass ratios for appropriate technology.

A more practical approach would be along the lines of the Jet Man, Yves Rossy.

A wing suit is usually for gliding, or rather falling more slowly than without a wingsuit. Their is insufficient lift in a wingsuit to make it practical for long distance travel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook