Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm new and i need some guidance befor i get banned

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    I have a homework from my degree course
    But i have absolutely no idea how to attempt it
    So how do i ask for guidance without being banned?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Use the HW/Coursework forum and follow the rules as stated in that forum. It is not that difficult!

Zz.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3

drizzle

Gold Member

This, and tell us your favorite fish. :biggrin:

Welcome to the forums, lioric. :)

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Except if he really has no idea of how to start, it's kind of difficult to show his work so far, as we require.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Check the FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4021232&postcount=4

Try to make a drawing! Or try to figure out which concepts/chapters are confusing you. Or look at previous problems. There must be something you can write!!

I do agree that sometimes problems can be very difficult. I was once asked as homework to prove that the reals are uncountable. I had no idea what to do or what to apply. I don't know how they would expect us to come up with Cantor's proof. But there is still always something you can write down as an attempt, even if it's minimal.

7. Jan 27, 2013 #6
    Thank you very much
    I'll try to come up with some thing and get back

8. Jan 27, 2013 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Lioric, just follow the template that pops up when you start a homework problem.

9. Jan 27, 2013 #8
    BTW: I'm lioric and i am new to my first degree class
    I'm training to be a teacher in physics and chemistry
    and you all help me indirectly in the past through you forums and i really love the way you all guide the people to learning

Thank you for the kind welcome

10. Jan 27, 2013 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I hope you learn a lot here!! Enjoy the ride :smile:

11. Jan 28, 2013 #10

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Personally I think it's OK to say that you don't have any idea where to start. The first reply should then be a hint about where to start. However, the place to start is almost always to write down the definitions and think about what they actually say*. If you're supposed to prove that a given function is continuous, you have to at least show us that you know what the statement "f is continuous" means.

*) Believe it or not, I have tried to help people who simply refused to do that and got angry because (in their minds) I wasn't helping them. I'd say that's the biggest mistake one can make in the homework forum, short of explicitly requesting help to cheat. In the best example of this, I tried to help the guy for several hours, and when I had to go to bed I requested that someone else take over. But no one wanted to, since he was so uncooperative. (I think they had the right idea. I should have stopped trying to help him much earlier).

12. Jan 28, 2013 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is a good post. If the OP can already identify the concepts and the definitions he needs and then state them, then this is already a good attempt for a difficult problem.

Believe it or not, but the mentors don't just infract everybody who don't make an attempt. We also tend to look at the problem at hand. If the problem is really difficult, then making no attempt might be acceptable. I do think we usually recognize which people really have a difficult problem and which people simply make no effort.

13. Feb 3, 2013 #12
    What does the line through a poster's name mean? Banned?

14. Feb 3, 2013 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes.

15. Feb 3, 2013 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

That means we tie the member tightly and prepare him/her for our volcano's final jump ritual. Saying good bye, throwing flowers and candy everywhere.

:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook