I'm new and want to post but there's so many threads locked

• Thread starter allisrelative
  • Start date
In summary, the rules are:-Follow the guidelines-Make sure your threads are relevant-Contact a moderator before posting a thread that is not about physics, mathematics, or engineering.
allisrelative
Is there some rule I should know about first? All of the good threads seem to be locked and what can I do to avoid starting a debate just to get it locked?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as there is relevant discussion, threads are usually kept alive. Many of the initially good threads were locked when they started to run in circles or got off-topic.

Likes Evo
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

allisrelative said:
All of the good threads seem to be locked
Also, threads generally get locked after a year or two of inactivity. This helps to avoid necroposts that confuse the regular users here.

Enjoy the PF! :smile:

Likes Evo
allisrelative said:
Is there some rule I should know about first? All of the good threads seem to be locked and what can I do to avoid starting a debate just to get it locked?

:welcome:

As mentioned, check out the posting rules. In the quantum sections, these tend to be enforced a bit more strictly within PF.

NOT TO WORRY! There is PLENTY of room for discussion within the rules. I might suggest that you wade in during your first posts. Learn the lay of the land. Don't get emotional about replies to your posts. The intellectual swords swing mightily here, but it's all for everyone's good. You will sharpen your quantum thinking quickly by reading what others have to say - regardless of whether you agree or even understand their reasoning.

Likes Evo
allisrelative said:
All of the good threads seem to be locked
In PF, there are three main reasons of locking a thread:

1. It has deviated from the main topic, or the same thing was being discussed in circles without coming to any conclusion, as stated in post #3,​
2. It violates the guidelines.​
3. Locked because of inactivity, as stated in post #4.​
There are a lot of threads that are open for discussion. In addition, you are welcome to create your own threads.

If you have a question/want to discuss something you found in a locked thread, you can create a new thread, put a reference to the locked thread (or a specific post therein), and start off. However, note that your new thread should follow the guidelines, otherwise it may be closed by the moderators. In the past, the rules were less strict, so you may find old threads that violate the current guidelines but are locked due to inactivity instead of violation of rules. You should not start a discussion on such threads. If you are unsure whether the topic that you want to discuss is allowed or not, you can contact a moderator privately before posting the thread.

As a rule of thumb, anything in mainstream STEM is allowed.

Likes Evo

1. Why are there so many threads locked?

Threads may be locked for a variety of reasons, such as violating forum rules, containing inappropriate content, or being duplicates of existing threads.

2. Can I still post on locked threads?

No, you cannot post on locked threads. This is to prevent further discussion on the topic and to keep the forum organized.

3. How do I know if a thread is locked?

Locked threads will have a lock icon next to the thread title, and you will not be able to reply to them.

4. Can I request for a locked thread to be unlocked?

No, you cannot request for a locked thread to be unlocked. If you have a similar topic to discuss, you can create a new thread.

5. What should I do if I have a question or comment about a locked thread?

If you have a question or comment about a locked thread, you can contact a forum moderator or administrator for assistance. They will be able to provide more information about why the thread was locked and address any concerns you may have.