I'm practicing how to differentiate equations.

We get (1/3)\pi [(Hr_1^2/(r_2- r_1))]^2+ (1/3)\pi r_2^2 (h+ Hr_1^2/(r_2-r_1))= (1/3)\pi r_2^2 (h+ Hr_1^2/(r_2-r_1))= (1/3)\pi r_2^2 h+ (Hr_1^2/(r_2-r_1))= (1/3)\pi r_2^2+ (Hr_1^2/(r_2-r_1))= (1/3)\pi r
silvashadow
I'm practicing how to differentiate equations.

I need help differentiation this: http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/531/voloz4.jpg

I made that equation up from a soda cup, different size bases. Is this equation correct?

I tried to differentiate with respect to time. I get http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9403/diffcb7.jpg .
Does that look right?

Thanks for any help.

Peter H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please post the original question? The first link you have is an equation for the Volume, only variables being the height and radii - ie The volume is constant with time. The original question may have said the height or radii were changing with time though, so please tell us.

Here's the question that I made up:

Soda is being filled into a soda cup. The cup is 6 inches tall and has a diameter of 3.5 inches at the opening. The diameter is 2.5 inches at the base of the cup. The flow rate of the soda fountain is 8.47 in^3/s. Find the rate of change in height of the soda at the top of the cup.

Cup I have looks like this: http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/272/1drs4622gz4.jpg

Ignoring flow rate, I first need an equation for V. That's what I found. Then I need dV/dt to solve for dh/dt.
r1 is the radii of base, r2 is radii of top of liquid, which is top of cup. dr1/dt is 0 b/c r1 is constant. dr2/dt is not constant.

Peter H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now,

[tex]
\frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{8.47}{3} = 2.82
[/tex]

Note however, that this is an 'averaged' rate of flow meaning, we are assuming that if [itex]x[/itex] liters flows in 1 second, [itex]2x[/itex] liters shall flow in 2 seconds i.e. [itex]V = kt[/itex].. i.e. Volume is directly proportional to time.. which i guess holds quite true for most real life situations, particularly a pumped soda fountain.

At a time 't', some soda will be filled in the cup. That soda will constitute a frustum. Let the radius of this frustum be [itex]x[/itex]. Let the height at that time be [itex]h[/itex] and the total height be [itex]H[/itex]. The base radius will still be [itex]r_1[/itex]. Since we have assumed linear proportionality between Volume and time, the volume at that time 't' would be: [itex]V = 2.82t[/itex].

Also, volume is equal to:

[tex]
V = \left (\frac{1}{2} \left (r_1 + r_2 \right ) \right )^2 \pi h
[/tex]

which is:

[tex]
2.82t = \left (\frac{1}{2} \left (r_1 + r_2 \right ) \right )^2 \pi h
[/tex]

Let's call this equation (II).

In this we have two variables [[itex]x[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex]] which change w.r.t time. Hence, it would be quite complicated if we just solving this. The Key Idea here is that, for a particular height [itex]h[/itex], we have a particular radius of the frustum, [itex]x[/itex]. This basically means that we can relate these two quantities.

The relation is:

[tex]
x = \frac{h(r_2 - r_1)}{H} + r_1
[/tex]

Please see the attached image for how I came to this relation. Now substitute this value of 'x' in the equation (II) and differentiate both sides w.r.t. time to get [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex].

I may have made a silly mistake in here.. because it seems like dh/dt will be constant.. which is a bit strange.. but since i haven't really calculated it.. it might be dependent on time.. but nevertheless.. this should give you an idea on how to solve these kinds of questions..

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 388
oops.. i calculated a few stuff.. and found out that my method is sorta... wrong. It's not wrong as in.. it would give you the correct answer... but it's going to be too much calculation. It is because when you first differentiate w.r.t time, you get dh/dt in terms of 'h', which again will change w.r.t time. So, to get dh/dt purely in terms of 't', we need to make a better substitution in the beginning, or as in the current case.. we'll have to substitute a relation between h and t.. which is quite tedious.

so.. hang on till someone wiser replies.. i'll try to think of something.. and post if i come up with anything :D

Here's what I would do. The cup is a "truncated" cone so draw a picture of it "seen from the side": draw a triangle having vertex at the origin of a coordinate system, base of length r2 parallel to the x-axis. Essentially, you have two symmetric lines throught the origin. You want the line on the right to pass through (0,0), [itex](r_1/2,\lambda)[/itex] (the base of the cup), and [itex](r_2/2,\lambda+ H)[/itex] (the top of the cup). The equation of any line passing throug (0,0) and [itex](r_1/2, \lambda)[/itex] must be and the equation of any line passing through (0,0) and [itex](r_2/2,\lambda+ H)[/itex] must be [itex]y= ((\lambda+ H)/r_2)x[/itex]. For a line passing through all 3 of those points, we must have [itex]\lambda/r_1= ((\lambda+ H)/r_2[/itex]. From that we get that [itex]\lambda= Hr_1/(r_2- r_1)[/itex]. That is, the equation of the line is y= The water in the cup must conform to the sides of the cup and so must be a truncated cone have lower base with radius [itex]r_1/2[/itex], height h, and upper base radius given by [itex]h= (\lambda/r_1)r_1= (Hr_1^2/(r_2- r_1))[/itex].

The volume of a cone of height h and base radius r is [itex](1/3)\pi r^2h[/itex] and the volume of the water is the difference of the volumes of the two cones: [itex](1/3)\pi [(Hr_1^2/(r_2- r_1))]^2(h+ Hr_1^2/(r_2-r_1)[/itex] and [itex](1/3)\pi r_1^2 (h+ Hr_1^2/(r_2-r_1)[/itex]. Subtract those and differentiate with respect to h.

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one or more independent variables. It is often used to analyze how a function changes over time or space.

Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation has many important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It allows us to analyze and understand how variables are related to each other and how they change over time or space. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus, which is essential for many scientific disciplines.

What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of a wide range of functions. Other rules, such as the sum and difference rule, can be derived from these basic rules.

What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse processes. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the area under a function. In other words, differentiation is used to find the slope of a function, while integration is used to find the total value of a function.

How do you differentiate equations?

To differentiate an equation, you need to apply the basic rules of differentiation. These rules involve finding the derivative of each term in the equation and combining them to get the final derivative. It is important to understand the rules and practice applying them to different types of equations to become proficient in differentiation.