Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Derivation of exact differential

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    Exact differential of a scalar function f takes the form of

∇f⋅dr=Σ∂ifdxi (where dr is a vector)
    f:R->Rn

and I am not sure why this equation is valid in the sense that if we integrate the equation,

∫∇f⋅dr=∫{Σ∂ifdxi}
    ∫df=∫{Σ∂ifdxi}

the above equation is true because integration is a linear operator, and if we think of R.H.S only,

∫{Σ∂1fdx1}+∫{Σ∂i≠1fdxi≠1}
    =f+c(x2,x3...,xn)+∫{Σ∂i≠1fdxi≠1}

and if we think of each integration of differential w.r.t variable x1,x2,x3 and so on, it should generate f+c respectively as the result of each integration.

therefore R.H.S has to be

nf+C(x1,x2,x3....,xn) but according to textbook, it says we dont add up each integration but we compare them to eradicate constants and "merge" each equation to one right answer, f.

I am a little bit confused about how to interpret the integration within the quotation mark ∫df="∫"{Σ∂ifdxi} because it seems it is linearly applied to each of partial differential, but does not spit out nf(n number of partial differentials so there must be n number of integrations on them so adding them up would give nf+C(x1,x2,x3....,xn)

Please enlighten me. I would really appreciate

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2017 #2
    As you noted, the gradient operator takes a scalar in R and gives a vector in $$R^n$$ and each derivative of f in the sum gives a component of the resulting vector. The key here is that the differential operators all act on f and they act differently. For instance you can have f = xy, taking the 2D gradient gives df/dx = y and df/dy = x. The scalar function f that produces the derivative is not the sum of derivatives which is 2*xy but is instead f = xy. This is what the book means by compare, eradicate and merge. You know there must be an xy term from integrating the x derivative and similarly for the y derivative but the result is not their sum in this case, you can test this by differentiating it again to see if it gives the same gradient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted