1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm stuck on solving a linear quadrupole problem

1. Mar 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [ upload_2017-3-5_2-2-29.png

2. Relevant equations

I found this is about linear quadrupole and these are potential of it.
    upload_2017-3-5_2-5-27.png

upload_2017-3-5_2-6-34.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, i solve the problem (a) by using potential.
    KakaoTalk_20170305_021357511.jpg
    This is what i've done, i'm not sure if it is right though.

And i have no idea how can i solve (b),(c) problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2017 #2
    For part (a) I wonder if you were expected to do simple electrostatics and geometry--adding up the single-particle fields, and doing first-order calculations for the distances. (I note that in your derivation you didn't insert the unit vectors until the last steps, so technically you're equating vectors to scalars.)

For (b) I don't know what they mean by a "singular" charge density, but perhaps they're thinking of something like p-orbitals.

For (c) I think this is definitely a case of simple electrostatics and geometry. Define a uniform electric field along a general direction (by symmetry this just means defining one angle) and work out the force on each charge separately; add up the results. The torque will be related to the difference in forces on the three charges (actually only the outer two are important).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted