1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent Series Expansion of Electrostatic Potential

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a series of three charges arranged in a line along the z-axis, charges +Q at
    z = D and charge -2Q at z = 0.
    (a) Find the electrostatic potential at a point P in the x, y-plane at a distance r from
    the center of the quadrupole.
    (b) Assume r >> D. Find the first two non-zero terms of a Laurent series expansion
    to the electrostatic potential you found in the fi rst part of this problem.
    (c) A series of charges arranged in this way is called a linear quadrupole. Why?

I have already solved part (a) of the question, and found the electrostatic potential, Ue, to be

Ue = (2/4*pi*epsilon) * [(Q / \sqrt(x^2 + y^2)) - (Q / \sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + D^2))]

My next step was to divide by D^2 out of the square root so i can put the equation in a form that fits to a pre-solved integral sheet that we were handed.

2. Relevant equations

Ue = (2/4piε) * [(Q / √(x^2 + y^2)) - (Q / √(x^2 + y^2 + D^2))]

3. The attempt at a solution

For part (b) specifically, i am completely lost as to how to arrange the equation when r >> D.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Mattkwish and welcome to PF!

Try rewriting your expression for the potential in terms of r and D instead of x, y, and D.
    Then think about how to make an approximation for r >> D.

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    Hi,

I attempted to substitute in r for x and y and established the substitution of (r0)^2 = x^2 + y^2. I then substituted in for r0, and was able to see that the bottom of one of the terms tends towards 0. So now i have the equation:

Ue = 2Q / 4piε * [1 - 1/r0] (the 1 / √r^2 + D^2 term goes towards 1/1)

However now i am lost as to how to construct a Laurent Series from this equation. My next step would be to use the equation (1/n!) * (d^nF / dz^n) |z=a and a similar one for the coefficients, however i am struggling with this. I remember using an integral to find the power series, which i could do for this function... could use some advice!

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This doesn't look right. Note that you have [1 - 1/r0]. The 1 has no dimensions while the 1/r0 has dimensions of 1/length. So, there is an inconsistency that shows something is wrong.

Let's go back to your expression

##V_e = (2/4\pi\epsilon) (Q / \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} - Q / \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + D^2})##

I took the liberty of using ##V## for potential instead of ##U##, since that is the more common notation. Of course you can simplify the 2/4 and also factor out Q. What does the expression become after writing it in terms of ##r## but before making any simplifications?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted