Linear and Non-linear Equations (QM)

In summary, the conversation discusses the linearity of differential/integral equations for the function u(x,t). The equations are considered linear if they follow the properties of superposing solutions and constant multiplication. The equations 1, 2, 3, and 5 are considered linear, while equations 4 and 6 are non-linear due to the repeating function and the product of two factors of u(x,t).
Luna Lunaticus
1. Problem
Recall that we defined linear equations as those whose solutions can be superposed to find more solutions. Which of the following differential/integral equations are linear equations for the function u(x,t)? Below, a and b are constants, c is the speed of light, and f(x,t) is an arbitrary function of x and t.

I5Fxj3n.png

Homework Equations

Do not try to solve this excercise using knowledge of "differential equations etc etc etc". APPLY "linearity properties".

You check it by the same way for all the equations: substitute in u(x,t) with G(x,t)+H(x,t) and see if the end result is L(G+H)=L(G) + L(H). Then check by substituting in a*u(x,t) where “a” is a constant to see if you get L(a*u)=a*L(u).If you have L(G+H)=L(G)+L(H) and L(a*u)=a*L(u), then it must be linear.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very slow at calculus, so I was asking for some help to solve this while learning a bit of MathLab.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, I got that 1,2,3 and even 6 are linear. 4 is non-linear because of -f(x,t) which repits itself and prevents it from be L(G+H)=L(G)+L(H). Am I right?

My last problem is with the definite integral in (5). I start to think I should paid more attention to calculus class.

Luna Lunaticus said:
My last problem is with the definite integral in (5). I start to think I should paid more attention to calculus class.

Does (when all the integrals exist)

$$\int \left[ f \left(x\right) + g \left(x\right) \right] dx = \int f \left(x\right) dx + \int g \left(x\right) dx ?$$

That actually helped me a lot! Thanks. But I had to watch out with (6) though... the product of two factors of u(x,t) in the first term is explicitly nonlinear, I did not realize before.

So, the answer is: 1, 2, 3 and 5 are linear, while 4 and 6 are non-linear.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation in which the variables have a degree of one and the graph of the equation forms a straight line. On the other hand, a non-linear equation is an equation in which the variables have a degree greater than one and the graph of the equation does not form a straight line, but instead can have a curved or nonlinear shape.

2. How can I identify if an equation is linear or non-linear?

To identify if an equation is linear or non-linear, you can check the degree of the variables. If the degree is one, then it is a linear equation. If the degree is greater than one, then it is a non-linear equation. Additionally, you can graph the equation and see if the graph forms a straight line or a curved line.

3. What are some real-life applications of linear and non-linear equations?

Linear equations are commonly used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to model relationships between variables that have a linear relationship. Non-linear equations are used to model more complex relationships, such as in biology and chemistry, where variables may have a non-linear relationship.

4. Can a non-linear equation have a solution?

Yes, a non-linear equation can have a solution, but it may not be a single value like in a linear equation. Non-linear equations can have multiple solutions or even no solutions depending on the specific equation and the values of the variables.

5. How does quantum mechanics relate to linear and non-linear equations?

In quantum mechanics, linear equations are used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. Non-linear equations are used to describe more complex systems, such as those with multiple particles or interactions. Non-linear equations are also used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of fields in space.