I'm thinking about joining Mensa

  • Thread starter Laser Eyes
  • Start date
126
0
Why join MENSA when you can become actively involved in PF for free. We have people of all ages and levels here, and also topics on most avenues of current research. MENSA seems to be for people who want to boast about their intelligence, while here at PF you can actually use your intelligence to help others, and/or embark on life long learning. To me that is much more important.
 

LogicalAtheist

MENSA is meant to bring together the 2% of the population who is intelligent. That's its purpose. You have meetings, enjoy certain outings to "intelligent" places etc...
 

damgo

Everyone already understands that, LA.
 
33
0
Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
MENSA is meant to bring together the 2% of the population who is intelligent. That's its purpose. You have meetings, enjoy certain outings to "intelligent" places etc...
Erm, I have trouble believing only the top 2% of people are intelligent. Poor wording on your part, perhaps, but I get the feeling that you actually meant it. Going by that "logic", the top 2% are nothing compared to the top 1% and, really, quite stupid since they could never pass the Mega Test.

Why don't we have an emoticon for eye rolling?
 
221
2
Originally posted by drdeath
no IQ tests test your problem solving, logic, memory, and perceptive skills. these are things you cannot be taught you are either good at them or your not
I thought that people in the first world greatly out performed people in the third world which would suggest something that can be taught (like a decent education).
 

LogicalAtheist

Originally posted by username
I thought that people in the first world greatly out performed people in the third world which would suggest something that can be taught (like a decent education).

Galatea - I said MENSA is for the top two percent of the population. That is the requirement to get in, simple as that. You indeed misunderstood what I said.

DrDeath - problem solving, logic, memory, and perceptive skills can all be taught. To say otherwise is an outrageous claim which requires outrageous evidence. Of which you have non.
 
204
1
M.E.N.S.A.
----------
Monstrous Egos Necessitate Superficial Authority
Members Essentially Not Stupid, Academically
Mental Elitists Need Segregated Association
Members Exhibit Nauseatingly Superior Attitude

sorry, couldn't help myself....
I'll be moving along.
 

LogicalAtheist

Apparently you were:

1. kicked out of mensa
2. not allowed in
3. Can't get in even if you tried

Which is it?!?

Originally posted by J-Man
M.E.N.S.A.
----------
Monstrous Egos Necessitate Superficial Authority
Members Essentially Not Stupid, Academically
Mental Elitists Need Segregated Association
Members Exhibit Nauseatingly Superior Attitude

sorry, couldn't help myself....
I'll be moving along.
 
167
1
Originally posted by Galatea
Erm, I have trouble believing only the top 2% of people are intelligent. Poor wording on your part, perhaps, but I get the feeling that you actually meant it. Going by that "logic", the top 2% are nothing compared to the top 1% and, really, quite stupid since they could never pass the Mega Test.

Why don't we have an emoticon for eye rolling?

A proportion of the top 2% could pass the Mega test.

However, how does one 'pass the Mega test'? I thought it was just a test, with no set mark to pass or fail?
 

LogicalAtheist

What mega test?

Show me it.

Like I said before, only the top 2% of people can get into mensa. That's their requirement.

Saying a certain percentage is intelligent is purposeless. Intelligence is opinion.

I would say it's best to say one is more or less intelligent in comparison to someone else.
 

DR OF DEATH

to a certain degree i would agree tht perception, logic skills, problem solving etc can be Learnt. but if you have very low logic skills for instance you not going to become some genius at logic, you can only improve on these basic skill sets by a small amount.
 

BoulderHead

Originally posted by J-Man
M.E.N.S.A.
----------
Monstrous Egos Necessitate Superficial Authority
Members Essentially Not Stupid, Academically
Mental Elitists Need Segregated Association
Members Exhibit Nauseatingly Superior Attitude

 
73
0
ROFLMAO. You cracked me up BH.
 
204
1
Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
Apparently you were:

1. kicked out of mensa
2. not allowed in
3. Can't get in even if you tried

Which is it?!?
4) None of the above 3.
5) Never asked to get in.
6) Never wanted to get in.
7) Answers 4 through 6.

The correct answer is (7). :smile:
I just thought those were funny. I have nothing personal against MENSA; I don't really think about them.
And one of the first things a MENSA member will tell you is that MENSA is not an acronym. (That's what they want us to believe.:wink: )

(edit: ficksed sum spelin)
 
Last edited:
I oughtta take an IQ test and see how I stack up nowadays.. the only data I have is that way back in elementary school I was roughly tied with two other kids for being the smartest person out of 600, so I'd be in like the top 1/200, I guess, unless my verbal knowledge hasn't grown proportionally

Damn, though, the test questions I see there are sticky

It's like the test is designed to be hard no matter how smart you are.. I think I prefer being a big fish in a small pond

I agree with the J-Man, I think. These organizations do seem like they're just some elitist BS, really

You don't need to talk to geniuses if you're a genius; anyone, no matter how stupid, can come up with interesting things you never will

I guess going there to meet women might make sense, but other than that, MENSA seems just as bad as the elitist 14 year olds on Battle.net who'll mess you up at War3 and then call you a "n00b", then spew half-witted Nazi garbage to each other on the forums about how the "n00bs" are ruining everything and suggesting ways to get rid of them

Hmm.. I wonder if there're any regular IQ tests I could take cheaply.. I'll bet that even if I'm not still in the top .5%, I'll at least be in the top 95% of people
 

Related Threads for: I'm thinking about joining Mensa

  • Posted
5 6 7
Replies
151
Views
12K
Replies
69
Views
13K
Replies
2
Views
2K
Replies
15
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
250
Replies
1
Views
373
  • Posted
Replies
6
Views
3K
Replies
53
Views
17K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top