What are the actual benefits of joining Mensa?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Laser Eyes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thinking
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 17K views
Originally posted by username
I thought that people in the first world greatly out performed people in the third world which would suggest something that can be taught (like a decent education).


Galatea - I said MENSA is for the top two percent of the population. That is the requirement to get in, simple as that. You indeed misunderstood what I said.

DrDeath - problem solving, logic, memory, and perceptive skills can all be taught. To say otherwise is an outrageous claim which requires outrageous evidence. Of which you have non.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
M.E.N.S.A.
----------
Monstrous Egos Necessitate Superficial Authority
Members Essentially Not Stupid, Academically
Mental Elitists Need Segregated Association
Members Exhibit Nauseatingly Superior Attitude

sorry, couldn't help myself...
I'll be moving along.
 
Apparently you were:

1. kicked out of mensa
2. not allowed in
3. Can't get in even if you tried

Which is it?!?

Originally posted by J-Man
M.E.N.S.A.
----------
Monstrous Egos Necessitate Superficial Authority
Members Essentially Not Stupid, Academically
Mental Elitists Need Segregated Association
Members Exhibit Nauseatingly Superior Attitude

sorry, couldn't help myself...
I'll be moving along.
 
Originally posted by Galatea
Erm, I have trouble believing only the top 2% of people are intelligent. Poor wording on your part, perhaps, but I get the feeling that you actually meant it. Going by that "logic", the top 2% are nothing compared to the top 1% and, really, quite stupid since they could never pass the Mega Test.

Why don't we have an emoticon for eye rolling?


A proportion of the top 2% could pass the Mega test.

However, how does one 'pass the Mega test'? I thought it was just a test, with no set mark to pass or fail?
 
What mega test?

Show me it.

Like I said before, only the top 2% of people can get into mensa. That's their requirement.

Saying a certain percentage is intelligent is purposeless. Intelligence is opinion.

I would say it's best to say one is more or less intelligent in comparison to someone else.
 
to a certain degree i would agree tht perception, logic skills, problem solving etc can be Learnt. but if you have very low logic skills for instance you not going to become some genius at logic, you can only improve on these basic skill sets by a small amount.
 
Originally posted by J-Man
M.E.N.S.A.
----------
Monstrous Egos Necessitate Superficial Authority
Members Essentially Not Stupid, Academically
Mental Elitists Need Segregated Association
Members Exhibit Nauseatingly Superior Attitude

 
Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
Apparently you were:

1. kicked out of mensa
2. not allowed in
3. Can't get in even if you tried

Which is it?!?

4) None of the above 3.
5) Never asked to get in.
6) Never wanted to get in.
7) Answers 4 through 6.

The correct answer is (7). :smile:
I just thought those were funny. I have nothing personal against MENSA; I don't really think about them.
And one of the first things a MENSA member will tell you is that MENSA is not an acronym. (That's what they want us to believe.:wink: )

(edit: ficksed sum spelin)
 
Last edited:
I oughtta take an IQ test and see how I stack up nowadays.. the only data I have is that way back in elementary school I was roughly tied with two other kids for being the smartest person out of 600, so I'd be in like the top 1/200, I guess, unless my verbal knowledge hasn't grown proportionally

Damn, though, the test questions I see there are sticky

It's like the test is designed to be hard no matter how smart you are.. I think I prefer being a big fish in a small pond

I agree with the J-Man, I think. These organizations do seem like they're just some elitist BS, really

You don't need to talk to geniuses if you're a genius; anyone, no matter how stupid, can come up with interesting things you never will

I guess going there to meet women might make sense, but other than that, MENSA seems just as bad as the elitist 14 year olds on Battle.net who'll mess you up at War3 and then call you a "n00b", then spew half-witted Nazi garbage to each other on the forums about how the "n00bs" are ruining everything and suggesting ways to get rid of them

Hmm.. I wonder if there're any regular IQ tests I could take cheaply.. I'll bet that even if I'm not still in the top .5%, I'll at least be in the top 95% of people