I'm torn between Operations Research/Actuarial Science/Both

• Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing both a degree in Actuarial Science and Operations Research, with the possibility of getting a Master's in the latter. They are interested in both fields and believe that the Actuarial Science path may offer more job opportunities, but recognize the specialized nature of the field. They are seeking advice on whether pursuing both paths would be worth the extra time and effort, and the speaker suggests that getting a degree in Statistics may provide a broader and more versatile skill set. They also mention Locrian, a member of an actuarial forum, who may provide better advice on the matter.
Hodgey8806
I want to have broad opportunities after my degree, and with the new ideas floating in health care, Actuarial Science might seem like a career that may experience some downsizing.

Now, I was also interested in Operations Research as well, and my university offers both in the math department. With Operations Research, I will probably have to get my Master's when it is all said and done. I don't really mind that, because I will get to take an econometrics course which is also a subject I'm very interested in.

What do you think? If I do both, it will take about another year to get my degree. Then grad school possibly. Do you think it would be worth it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hodgey8806 said:
I want to have broad opportunities after my degree, and with the new ideas floating in health care, Actuarial Science might seem like a career that may experience some downsizing.

Now, I was also interested in Operations Research as well, and my university offers both in the math department. With Operations Research, I will probably have to get my Master's when it is all said and done. I don't really mind that, because I will get to take an econometrics course which is also a subject I'm very interested in.

What do you think? If I do both, it will take about another year to get my degree. Then grad school possibly. Do you think it would be worth it?

This is just my opinion and I am not an actuary or an operations researcher. I am however a statistics major, so you know where I am coming from, and have investigated the actuary path.

The actuarial path is very specialized. You will learn statistics, but most of it is applied to the discipline of insurance. Now if you end up passing the actuarial exams, my guess is that you will probably be very likely to apply it to other fields (since the exams are hard and yes I have looked at them), but like I said the knowledge is rather specialized to insurance and other areas of risk management.

Based on that, I would if I were you get a major in statistics and then go from there. In masters programs you can go into "statistics" which includes designing experiments and sampling along with other "mathematical statistics" subjects like higher probability, time series analysis and so on, or go into biostatistics with the focus of statistical applications to health, or even go into financial fields like actuarial science or other forms of risk management.

If you decided to get a major in statistics (with decent results), you should qualify all statistics related masters programs. Then if you wanted to become an actuary, you could probably do the probability exam at the very least and perhaps the exam that involves stochastic processes and markov statistics.

If you end up not liking actuarial science, then if you have a bachelors in statistics, you are going to be better off than if you just did a specialized course in actuarial science, and this is kind of the crux of my argument to just major in statistics as an undergraduate to get a broader and deeper skill set.

Locrian is an actuary on this forum, and he will ultimately offer better advice than myself on this matter of becoming an actuary, so hopefully he chimes in here and gives you advice.

Related to I'm torn between Operations Research/Actuarial Science/Both

What is Operations Research?

Operations Research is a scientific approach to problem-solving and decision-making that uses mathematical models, statistical analysis, and optimization techniques to improve processes and systems in various industries.

What is Actuarial Science?

Actuarial Science is a discipline that applies mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk and uncertainty in the fields of insurance, finance, and other related industries. Actuaries use their expertise to analyze data and help organizations make informed decisions.

What are the differences between Operations Research and Actuarial Science?

While both fields use mathematical and statistical methods, Operations Research focuses on improving efficiency and decision-making processes, while Actuarial Science focuses on assessing and managing risks. Operations Research is more broad and applicable to various industries, while Actuarial Science is more specialized in the insurance and finance sectors.

Can I pursue both Operations Research and Actuarial Science?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both fields simultaneously. However, it may require a significant time commitment and careful planning to balance coursework and internships in both disciplines.

Which field has better job prospects?

Both Operations Research and Actuarial Science have strong job prospects, as they are in high demand in various industries. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. You may consider researching job opportunities and growth potential in both fields to make an informed decision.